photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Classes to Spice Up Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

At a school like UIUC, where thousands of classes are offered, it’s almost impossible to know of every course you can take outside of your major. With registration quickly approaching, here are some fun options to spice up your next semester!

HORT 107: Introduction to Floral Design

In this unique flower arrangement class, students learn how to arrange “flowers, foliages and accessories” in accordance to the principles of basic flower design. This class was described as fun, relaxing, and definitely worth taking. Former students say that they learned how to arrange different types of flower heads and how green leaf plants are used as fillers. Grades are based on colors, placement of flowers and the taping of the arrangement.

KIN 104: Skating Activities

Held at the ice arena, this class teaches basic ice skating techniques. Former students described it as a really fun class where you were able to learn a lot of skills, which include backwards skating and stopping, synchronized skating and a few jump tricks. It’s also a great class to be social in, as students are able to hang out as they learn these skills. Another plus? You don’t have to be a great (or good) skater to do well in the class.

GER 250: Grimm’s Fairy Tales

Former students have given this class great reviews. Even if reading isn’t your thing, the content of these fairy tales in European context has kept everyone interested through a semester. “It’s my favorite class I’ve taken in college. You’ll love it. It’s dark, sick, happy and constantly entertaining. If you can take it you should, it’s not hard at all,” said senior Audrey O’Connor.

MACS 100: Popular TV and Movies

Do you like watching movies? Well, now you can get credit for it! In this class, students watch movies as a hands-on way to learn about cinema. This class will also explore themes such as: “violence, gender identities, sexual identities, adolescents, minority cultures” and more. This class does not require any previous knowledge in film or pop culture, and it’s the perfect way to learn about the topics that we see everyday on TV.  

Photo Sources: