Chick-fil-A Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Food. It’s a necessity. Not only to survive, but also an essential aspect in many socializing activities, business events and celebrations. Ironically enough, food, a staple in our society which brings people together, has torn others apart in the past week. The controversy between the Chick-fil-A fast-food chain restaurants and the opinions, religion, gay-rights and humanism have risen to a series of events.

Taking a few steps back to 1967 when the first Chick-fil-A restaurant was established, Truett Cathy created a food chain of success which has grown to over 1,600 chains across the United States to serve what is known as “America’s Best Quick-Service Restaurant,” according to the official website, www.chick-fil-a.com and mission statement. Although this may be known as “America’s Best,” this may not stand what is best for America.

Dan Cathy, son of Truett, currently holds the position as President of the company and also holds true to his Christian lifestyle. According to an article from The Christian Post, Cathy said on The Ken Coleman Show, “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.’”

Since Cathy’s comments were revealed, his supporters and opposers took action last week to support their own morals.

Wednesday, Aug., 1st was Customer Appreciation Day and set record sales across America for Chick-fil-A according to ABC News. Customers waited in line for their food and parking lots remained crowded all day throughout the event. Fox News reported that at an Atlanta location’s drive-thru, the line looped twice around the restaurant.

During the event, pastor Stephen Lenahan told Fox News what the biggest issue is due to the controversy. “There is kind of a culture war going on and people aren’t really respecting each other and difference of opinion,” he said. “There’s no dialogue taking place to get to the heart of what we really believe as a nation and what is truth.”

Contrary to Customer Appreciation Day, Friday’s national events held a same-sex “Kiss In,” which brought in a smaller crowd than Wednesday’s event. Participants went to the fast-food chains and kissed a partner of the same sex, according to ABC News reports.

ABC News Chicago also reported that while activists came out to Chick-fil-A locations to support their beliefs, Herndon Graddick, president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, said that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, that does not mean other’s opposing views are wrong.
“Without question, Dan Cathy has every right to voice his opinions and beliefs,” Graddick said. “But he should meet and get to know the people that he’s speaking out against – the people who are harmed by his company’s multi-million dollar donations to anti-gay hate groups working to hurt everyday LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) Americans and break apart loving families.”