This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Meet Marty Browne, a senior from Edison Park, IL and who some may consider the unofficial face of U of I. With experiences like interning at the White House under the Obama Administration, working for the university’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions and completing the Chicago Marathon, he is a guy who does it all. He is a student who will leave a lasting impact on the university and is a celebrity in more ways than one.

1. What are you involved in on campus and elsewhere?

I am on the executive board for the Student Alumni Ambassadors, serving as the Vice President of Alumni Relations. I help facilitate events across campus with campus leaders and distinguished alumni.

2. What’s your major/minor?

Political Science and Communication (LAS) – Leadership Minor (ACES)

3. What are some of your career goals?

I would like to work for the government, whether that be local, state, or federal. I think it would be rewarding to work for an elected official. Maybe one day run for office?

4.What was the coolest thing about interning at the White House?

I worked in the Office of Presidential Correspondence where I was able to read the mail thousands of people sent to the President every day. It opened my world to many stories and new ideas that were so different from my own experiences. This kind of gave me a window to the rest of the world. I also got to attend leadership workshops and Q&As with senior White House staff, including President Obama and The First Lady (whom I got to hug and is a major highlight of my life overall).

5. What is your favorite thing to do on campus?

My favorite thing to do on campus is to sit on the union patio and watch everyone enjoy the great quad that we have. I also love my job as a tour guide. Getting to meet so many prospective students and being able to have a role in representing the university is very rewarding.

6. Who is someone at U of I that has had a great impact on you?

I have met so many great individuals whom I consider my best friends who have made my college experience what it is. I have had the opportunity to work with and get to know many students, teachers and faculty members that I don’t know if I could narrow it down to just one. Everyone I have met here has shaped not only my college career, but my life in some way.

7. Why do you think U of I is the best school in the nation?

I think the countless opportunities that are available to students is something that sets us apart. Never in my life did I expect to do half of the things I have been able to do in my college career, and I don’t think I would have been able to do these things had I gone to another school.