Campus Celebrity: Lauren Scafidi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Her Campus: Tell us a little about yourself!

Lauren Scafidi: I am a senior here at UIUC and I know journalists aren’t supposed to be biased, but I’m studying what I believe is the best major on campus — broadcast journalism!! I’ve tried to immerse myself in as many organizations as possible to develop my journalism skills. I’ve interned locally at WCIA TV, and I am currently the president of Society of Professional journalists, a reporter for The Daily Illini, a reporter for Big Ten Network Plus, a reporter for UI-7 news, a roundtable host for SeeYou Weekly, and both an on-air personality and the Assistant Marketing Director for WPGU 107.1 FM Radio.

HC: What made you decide to join the Society of Professional Journalists and how did you rise to be president of the organization?

LS: Joining Society of Professional Journalists was a no-brainer as a broadcast journalism major; SPJ is an incredibly reputable organization both nationally and locally. I am very thankful I joined because I have had the chance to learn from my peers outside a classroom setting and have been able to maturate my professional skills.  I’ve had the honor of being elected Vice President last year and President this year. I wanted a leadership position in SPJ so I could help other journalism students and execute my ideas for the organization.

HC: What is the most memorable experience you have as a budding broadcast journalist?

LS: Wow — that’s a tough question! I don’t think I could pick just one memory. I am so blessed to have come across the most amazing people thus far and I hope each and every person knows how I appreciative I am of him/her. This journalism journey has been both challenging and fun; I’ve absolutely loved every single step of the way and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

HC: What are your plans after graduation? If you don’t have any yet, what would you like to do?

LS: I cannot believe graduation is right around the corner; I am sad to leave Champaign in a few months. My ultimate career goal is to turn my deep and age-old passions into a career I can enthusiastically practice for the rest of my life. I love storytelling, writing, and connecting with people, so complimented with my painstaking curiosity, I am eager to engender a lifelong career both reporting and anchoring. I’d like to start working in Chicago as soon as possible, however, the Windy City is of course a major media market and very competitive to work in.

HC: What advice would you give to young women in the journalism field?

LS: First, advice I would give to any individual in any field is to wake up every day and SMILE! Approaching the day with a positive attitude makes any task more enjoyable and every interaction more pleasant. Specifically to women in broadcast journalism, though, advice I would give is never ever, ever, ever stay comfortable. If you write an awesome story, then make the next one even better. If your story gets one million views, then aim to get two million views on your next story. Always seek improvement.

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter