Budget-Friendly Dinners That Will Satisfy Your Weekly Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As a busy college student, you may find yourself constantly running from class to class, studying or becoming involved in a new club or organization. Unfortunately, this leaves you with very little time to prepare a delicious dinner near the end of the night. With such a hectic schedule, it proves difficult to designate a portion of your day entirely to making a healthy and fulfilling dinner. However, with a list of my favorite meals, you will come to learn that you can make some of your go-to takeout meals at home, with little to no prep. Not only are these meals quick and easy, but budget-friendly as well!

1. Rice Bowls

Girl, we have Chipotle at home! These Chipotle-inspired rice bowls are SO easy to make and one of my family’s favorites. When grocery shopping for the week, explore some of the flavored rice pack options and choose what looks the most appetizing to you. I prefer the Spanish Rice flavor, as well as the Cilantro Lime Rice. For this meal, I prefer thinly sliced chicken breasts, as I feel as if they resemble the consistency of Chipotle’s protein the best. Toss the chicken with olive oil and taco seasoning, throw on a nonstick pan and keep on medium to low heat until the chicken appears to be crispy and golden. While your meat is cooking, begin chopping up some fresh veggies to top your bowl. Corn, tomatoes, onion and avocados are my preferred add-ins. Layer your bowl with rice, meat and veggies, and top with cheese and sour cream or lime crema. The healthy components of this meal will end up lasting you a few days, so enjoy!

Chipotle
Karen Ding / Spoon

2. Sweet and Sour Chicken

We can all agree that Chinese takeout is a staple in a college student’s diet. However, this habit can prove to be expensive! It is possible to make your favorite dish at home. Sweet and Sour Chicken is a quick, easy dinner that can be thrown together in less than 20 minutes! Begin by thinly slicing your chicken breast, and lightly seasoning with salt and pepper. Once your chicken is fully cooked, slowly add in your favorite sweet and sour marinade until the meat is fully coated. If sweet and sour isn’t your favorite, Aldi’s has plenty of other sauces to choose from! In a bowl, place a bed of white rice and pour over your sweet and sour chicken mixture. I enjoy eating broccoli on the side to add in some greens, but this is optional! This dinner is definitely one of my all-time favorites.

3. Homemade burgers and fries

I don’t know about anyone else, but In & Out’s Animal Style Fries and Burgers have taken over my FYP for a few weeks now. While I have never had a chance to try the chain’s famous style of food, I enjoy making my very own version at home. I begin by pressing ground beef into medium-sized patties, smashing them down on the pan until they are thin and crispy. In a separate pan, I throw in butter, garlic and thinly diced onions until they are brown and caramelized. When it’s time to assemble the cheeseburgers, I smother the bun with mayo, mustard and ketchup, and I also add a piece of lettuce and a slice of tomato. I tend to make my french fries from scratch, but this is not necessary, as packaged fries from the freezer will also do the trick! Top your warm fries with a slice of American cheese, caramelized onions and your mayo, ketchup and mustard mixture. Treat yourself to this meal after a long week of school and hard work!

Calli Kraft

Illinois '27

Hello all! I'm Calli Kraft, a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My major is Advertising and I am also working towards a minor in Public Relations. As a freshman, Her Campus is the first club I have joined! I am so grateful to be a part of their team.