Best Summer Road Trips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer is absolutely the best time to pile in a car with your friends and take an adventure of a lifetime. There is no better experience than a road trip- from the scenery, to the bonding, to the random interactions you will have with locals, this is an experience you won’t find at any airport or in any undersized airplane seat. Road trips continue to be one of my favorite things to do, and I know my memories will last me a lifetime. I have compiled a list of five of the best scenic, adventurous and iconic road trips America has to offer across the country. So roll down those windows, turn the music to full blast and enjoy America at its best!

1.     The Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)- The PCH, also known as California State Route 1, takes you 655 miles all along the beautiful California coast. Taking you by numerous popular beaches such as Ventura and Santa Barbara enables you and your friends to see the magnificent Pacific Ocean coast and all it has to offer. Beautiful cliffs, ocean towns, unique shops and endless surfers can be spotted along this route. Stops include San Diego, Venice Beach, Carmel by the Sea, Big Sur- the PCH even stretches up to San Francisco and across the famous Golden Gate Bridge! Eventually you will find your road trip ending in Napa Valley, where you can go on endless wine tours and wine tastings. This road trip qualifies as one of America’s most popular- obviously for endless reasons!

2.     Going-To-The-Sun Road, Montana- Taking quite the turn from the beaches of California, Montana and the Going-To-The-Run Road offer just as much beautiful scenery as it stretches through the underestimated state of Montana. This route is the only route to stretch through Glacier National Park, which is quite amazing even in the heart of summer, especially for those who cringe at the thought of cold weather like I do. This road is only open in the summer due to it’s difficulty to get plowed since it is incredibly winding. You will stretch through the park for 50 miles where you can stop at many overlooks to view the iconic and break-taking glaciers that make this route and road trip unlike any other. Even for those who wouldn’t qualify themselves as a “nature lover” would still love the Going-To-The-Sun road trip as it is incredibly unique.

3.     U.S Route 1, Maine- When I think of Maine I think of lighthouses, cute cottages and awesome sea food. Well I guess I’m in luck, because that is exactly what U.S Route 1 offers. Stretching 527 miles (who knew Maine was that big?) from the very tippidy-top of the state to the very bottom is this iconic and very popular stretch of road. Along the route you will experience mostly coast line overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and it’s endless horizon. The route is dotted with lighthouses, mom and pop shops and restaurants, and the rolling hills of Maine’s countryside. Not to worry, you will experience some of the best seafood America has to offer. You and your friends should find time to stay in a cute Bed and Breakfast and pamper yourself on the east coast. This is surely to be an adventurous and beautiful drive. 

4.     US Highway 1 through The Florida Keys- Heading south, we find ourselves in the tropical state of Florida. The Florida Keys are known for being a tourist destination, with over 1700 islands, only some inhabited or accessible, and beautiful beaches, coast lines and waters. Although US Highway 1 stretches through the entire eastern coastline of Florida, the coolest stretch for a road trip would start in Miami and travel down into the keys, over the iconic and mind blowing overseas highway. US Highway 1 reaches every inhabited island in the Keys. Take many, many stops and enjoy the ocean and the tropical climate. Lie under a palm tree, go snorkeling in the crystal clear waters, interact with the locals at unique restaurants, and jam to Kokomo by the Beach Boys while enjoying yourself on this epic trip.

5.     Route 66, Los Angeles to Chicago- Although many of these routes have consisted of being “1”, the most famous and still popular Route 66 continues to be one of the best road trip experiences you could imagine. Stretching from Los Angeles to Chicago Route 66 covers 2,451 miles of true American land consisting of beaches, mountains, deserts, prairies and flatlands. Along the route are iconic stops, such as Lou Mitchell’s Restaurant in Chicago, the Snow Cap Drive-In in Seligman, AZ, and the infamous Cadillac Ranch in Amirillo, TX. Stay a night at the Wigwam Motel, a historic motel where guests enjoy their own private teepee hotels, yes I said teepee. This road trip across America will continue to thrive and be driven by thousands each year, as other classic pit-stops will continuously appear. Before you die, you must drive the 66.

Don’t just read this article and dream of a perfect road trip- pack your bags and get going! Summer has just begun and there is no better time than now to try something adventurous with your friends. Until next time!