This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Somewhere, some way, somehow, our lives turned upside down. We went from thinking we had all the time in the world, to realizing we may not have enough to do all that needs to be done. We laughed, we cried, we rejoiced and now all that we seem to do is reflect; mostly out of shock for how much we have grown. Time flies by when you are living a full life, and I just know we are all full to the brim right now. Whether it be school, work, relationships or changes in our paths, the effort to maintain those different areas of our lives may be overwhelming.

Dealing and Healing

I am no better than the average person. I have my “off” days where I want to do nothing. I would rather sit and hope for things to get better than be proactive about my situation. Letting yourself experience these states of existence is important for appreciating what you have and how far you have come. For example, if you are upset about being passed up for an internship, that is completely justified. Allow yourself a day to shed a tear over what could have been. But do not let that temporary negative emotion undermine what you are capable of, because you have gotten this far by your own doing. You did the best you could with what you had at your disposal, and that is an accomplishment in itself. More will come. 

Love Is Blind S3 E5 00 45 09 02R?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022

Letting people come and go

Phasing out certain individuals and allowing new ones to enter your life is a normal thing to go through. Yes, there are those special few friends that will stick around forever and ever, and that is something to cherish. But alongside that, there will be people who come in waves and stay for a season or two of your life. What I mean by this is, there will be individuals — friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, coworkers and more — that will only be a chapter in your story. They will not last the entire novel and that is okay. They are just needed for certain portions of the plot. Appreciate what you have in the moment with those certain people, but understand that if or when they leave, it is a sign of change and growth. Letting go and moving on is difficult, but it comes with the territory of being human.

We all carry weight, whatever that weight may be. And just because we carry it well, does not mean it isn’t heavy. I think we are all just trying to do our best given our situations. Life always manages to throw us for a loop, but we can manage to overcome that. Let’s rejoice in this imperfection and continue to grow. 

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!