Autumn Decor to Snag from Target’s Dollar Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you know how dangerous Target’s Dollar Spot is for your bank account. It’s even more tempting because I work at Target back in my hometown… so my employee discount convinces me to purchase a lot more than I should. In addition to the great deals that lure you in, the selection for this season is perfect for the autumn-lovers out there. There are plenty of pumpkin and Halloween-inspired decorations to choose from and plenty more. Their autumn selection is a little bit more subdued compared to other years in terms of their color palette and overall theme. Here are a few things that will fulfill your autumn fancy.

Plush Pumpkins

Of course, I had to start with the ultimate autumn favorite: pumpkins. I’m always in search of ones that are unique in some way, whether it’s traveling to your local pumpkin patch or simply buying a fake one. This year, I spotted plush ones that are just too cute. They come in muted greens and grays. They seamlessly blend into the regular décor in my room, which makes me want to keep them year-round. Since they are plush, you also don’t have to worry about breaking them while you’re in a decorating frenzy.

Fairy Lights

What would I do without fairy lights? It may be every college student’s staple piece in their dorm room or apartment. For this season in particular, try warmer colored ones or if you’re looking for some with a Halloween spirit, try orange, purple or green. Personally, I try to find colors that are more soothing, so I bought blinking orange ones. They only flicker every other bulb, so they’re not too overwhelming for 10 feet in length. I would definitely consider these for yearlong use because of their simplicity once again. Consider all the ways you can use these lights, like placing them in jars or hanging them above your bed.

Mugs

You can never have enough mugs. Period. This one might differ whether you’re into quotes or not, but sometimes they capture your mood a little too perfectly. Again, if it’s a simple pattern that resonates a year-round feel, I have an instant connection to it already. There is a plaid one I’ve been eyeing because I really enjoy its color palette. Overall, they’re all very affordable since Dollar Spot pricing ranges from $1 to $5. If you can’t find a mug you like, there are always more to choose from in Target’s kitchen area for about the same price range. Can you tell that I work there? Mugs galore!

…More Pumpkins!

There are so many more pumpkins to choose from, it’s hard to select just a couple. You can choose from pumpkins that act as bowls, pumpkins with quotes and phrases on them, or ones for general decor. This year, like I mentioned above, the color theme for a lot of Target’s pumpkins is subdued or grayed-out colors. However, classic orange pumpkins are always a good move. The smaller they are, the more fun it is to sprinkle them all over your dorm or apartment.

Throw a scarf on to combat the autumn breeze, take a sip of your pumpkin spice latte, and head over to Target soon before this spooky decor is sold out!

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.