This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s 2023, and just about anything goes when it comes to denim. However, skinny jeans are becoming a controversial fashion choice in the shadow of the popular baggy “dad jeans” look. If you still have your skinny jeans from 2018 hanging in the back of your closet, don’t be afraid to pull them back out! Fashion trends tend to recycle, and you can even style skinny jeans with your current wardrobe selection. 

While wide-leg pants may be on trend, it can be difficult to style them with certain shoes, especially boots. Wearing loose-fitting pants with close-fitting boots may make your outfit look disproportioned. Opting to pair your Chelsea boots, knee-highs or even the newly-popular cowboy boots with skinny jeans may be a smart decision, as it creates a more streamlined look and accentuates the legs. 

Another great use for skinny jeans is to style them with an oversized crewneck, sweater or a long overcoat. Long trench coats and peacoats are becoming a more prominent outer-wear choice, especially for the mild fall weather. Pairing skinny jeans with these longer jackets allows the coat to be the focus of attention and can create a much-needed contrast against the fit and length of the coat. Wearing a pair of slim-fitting ankle boots or heeled boots can pull together this outfit. 

For a chic appearance, black denim is the way to go. Similar to black leather pants, black skinny jeans are fair game when curating an elevated night-out look. Pairing your black skinny jeans with a slim-fitting or sheer top creates a sleek look. A timeless option is an all-black outfit, complete with a slim black top and your choice of shoes. Pointed-toe heels, ankle boots or even loafers can elevate this monochrome look and will elongate the legs. To finish off the sleek look, consider wearing gold jewelry with a slicked-back hairdo. 

Nadya\'s 2nd headshot
Mercedes Zapata

If full-out skinny jeans aren’t what you’re looking for, straight-leg skinny jeans are a classic, yet trendy option. The straight-leg can be worn in a variety of styles, from an easy t-shirt and sneakers look to a business casual blazer-and-jeans outfit. When it comes to the “skinny” part of the jeans, make sure to wear a top that features the waist, as this is what you will want to accentuate since the bottoms of the pants are loose. Wearing a cropped top or tucking your shirt in will easily achieve this effect. 

Despite the leading denim trends, skinny jeans are still a staple for many outfits and can actually elevate a look if you pair them with the right outfit. The key here is styling your skinny jeans based on the look you’re going for, whether that’s an oversized cozy sweater or a chic monochrome ensemble. So, next time you’re looking through your wardrobe and find those old skinny jeans put them to good use! 

Hi, I'm Kaitlyn! I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying Communication. I'm hoping to pursue a career in marketing or public relations! In my free time, I love to cook, read, make art and do yoga. I'm really passionate about mental wellness and self-care.