An Efficient Approach To Spring Cleaning: A Guide For College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the Illinois weather finally begins to feel promising, you may find yourself dreaming of the warm spring and summer months. Spending time outside with friends, enjoying the warm sunlight and not having to winter jacket on your walk to class sounds pretty ideal right about now! However, before this transition, you may begin to realize that you haven’t done some deep cleaning since winter break. And there is absolutely no shame in this! But a clean room, study space, and closet can make a huge impact on your mental health. Let’s tackle some spring cleaning together!

Declutter Your Closet!

Are your drawers impossible to close and overflowing? It might be time to clean out your closet! Start by trying on some pieces you often find yourself not wearing. If it appears to be too snug or is no longer matching your current fashion style, consider labeling a box and starting to add to your pile of old clothes. These items can either be donated or sold to a local consignment shop, such as Plato’s Closet or Goodwill. Focusing on the clothes you do wear, are they catered towards more of the winter or spring season? If your answer is winter, you might want to toss these items into storage to free up some vital closet space. Your closet should now consist of mostly lightweight hoodies and jackets, comfortable leggings and sweatpants, medium and light wash jeans, and fun pastel colors. It may be tempting to throw shorts in your everyday rotation, but summertime is still a few months away. But remember! UIUC Apparel is ALWAYS in season!

Make Your Bathroom Sparkle and Shine!

It’s no secret that a girl’s bathroom is often found to be cluttered with trending beauty, skin, hair and nail products. But cleaning and tidying up your space proves to be just as important as your daily self-care routine! I recommend before moving forward in your organization, grab your cleaning supplies and begin disinfecting your bathroom surfaces. Organization proves to be useless if find your belongings encased in dirt, grime or dust. Once your bathroom appears spotless, consider heading over to your favorite store and investing in some toiletry bags, makeup storage, a shower rack and sturdy shelves. Not only will these items keep your favorite products neatly organized, but it will seem as if your bathroom finally got a well-deserved makeover!

Organize Your Kitchen!

Your kitchen may prove to be the most difficult space to tackle, depending on your daily commitment to keep it clean. However, it seems no matter how much effort you put into cleaning, you will continue to find scattered crumbs and spotted residue on your appliances. Luckily, I have a few tricks regarding this issue! I typically designate two days out of my busy week to spend wiping down the appliances, my counter, my table and the inside of my fridge. I highly recommend cleaning out your fridge once a week as well! You never know what you may find, forgotten food near the back of your fridge can be common… and smelly. By simply emptying your fridge and wiping down the shelves with disinfectant wipes, you can prevent the spread of unwanted smells. Now, say hello to a clean and fresh kitchen that your mom would be proud of!

Calli Kraft

Illinois '27

Hello all! I'm Calli Kraft, a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My major is Advertising and I am also working towards a minor in Public Relations. As a freshman, Her Campus is the first club I have joined! I am so grateful to be a part of their team.