This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

For Centuries, water has been dubbed a “magical potion” for weight loss, clear skin, and even now, doctors recommend that each individual should drink eight cups of water a day.  This summer, we’ve all enjoyed our ice-cold drinks poolside, but what else do we use water for?  We use it to shower, wash our clothes, brush our teeth, and an  to flush the toilet (about 30 percent of water’s use, according to waterwise.org.uk).

In most homes across America, water is only a few feet away. However, for many countries with severe water scarcity, “the average distance per-trip [to attain water] is roughly four-to-six miles,” states Active Water.  “Active Water is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that uses the athletic lifestyle and grassroots campaigns to bring clean water and sanitation projects to needed communities throughout the globe.”

Photo

On Active Water’s website, it states that, “Water weighs eight lbs per gallon, 30-40 lbs per trip,” and “the average American individual uses 100-176 gallons of water per day, while the average African family uses about five gallons per day.”  Based on these numbers, I wanted to see how many trips we would have to take to get the same amount of water if we lived somewhere where water was scarce.  The average American individual’s daily water weighs 1,104 lbs and if each load of water is about 35 lbs, the individual would have to make over 31 four-to-six miles trips a day to attain our daily amount of water. 

Photo

The truth is that for most people, water is a luxury item even when used for non-luxurious purposes, such as hygiene.  When we see the facts above it is easy to say that given the circumstances we could limit water usage, for instance, showering once a day to once a week.  I know it is hard to imagine, but unfortunately this is actually happening all over the world, especially in Africa where, “two out of five people lack clean water” according to africastories.org. This means they are more likely to die from water transmitted diseases such as Malaria.  Active Water has identified that the problem isn’t creating more water but to make water more accessible.

What You Can Do
ActiveWater is about mobilizing people who want to make a difference.”  Water scarcity or inaccessibility is a problem on every continent (yes, even the USA), but the difference is that the majority of the United States has the technology, such as irrigation and indoor plumbing, to survive through droughts and everyday life.  Active Water urges people who have the resources and desire to make a difference to partner with them and help bring clean water to people in need.  On this website, Active Water lists possible ways to raise money and awareness towards building a fresh water well in Africa.  Ellie Moen, an incoming freshman at UIUC took their “Two Weeks of Sacrifice” challenge.  However, instead of only drinking tap water and giving the money she would have spent on other beverages to Active Water for two weeks, she did it for an entire year.  “It made me realize how much money I actually spend on bottled water or other beverages and how much of a difference we could make with that money,” reflected Ellie on Active Water’s challenge.

Photo

Take on their “Two Week Challenge” with your roommates, sorority sisters or sports team and see how much you raise towards a well to bring fresh water, without labor, to water-scarce villages in Africa.  Browse the Active Water site for more campaigns and fundraising ideas or create your own!

Other Sources:
http://www.highvibrations.org/archive3/water.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!