This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

That infamous Hallmark holiday, with its pink and red glamor and shiny jewelry and knick knacks, can feel like a period of isolation for those that are single or, for lack of better words, “going through it”. The logistics of the situation do not matter. Though the circumstances may not be ideal for a holiday centered around the celebration of romantic love, who is to say that we can’t appreciate other kinds of love on Valentine’s Day?

Being in a relationship is great, but I would argue and say that your group of friends builds your foundation. It is a well known saying that you are the sum of the five you spend the most time with and I have found that to be true in my experience. My friends all have left an imprint on me in one way or another. In our friendships, we can express an intimate platonic love that requires minimal upkeep. It is nice to simply exist in a space with your friend, knowing full well that you both love and respect each other and the friendship. This aspect of love is often overlooked; however, it is most prevalent. Relationships come and go, but certain friendship bonds are irreplaceable.

It is important to express love and gratitude towards your friends because they have probably seen you at your worst as well as your best, and still chose to stick around. Platonic relationships like that are vital for our emotional development and well being. They help foster a sense of belonging that is so important for humans to feel. This holiday can feel just as special with your friends if you take the time to do something together.

An idea for a “galentine’s” day is to get together for a girls’ night. Everyone needs their fair share of gossip, laughs, and snacks. This can be done in so many ways and augmented to fit each individual friend group. Obviously, you can start off with the basics, such as snacks and drinks, and an activity to do. You can also make it up as you go. A movie, doing nails, painting canvases, baking or cooking, or a self care night are all fun little activities that you and your friends might not always get to do. Sharing special moments like that with your group of friends will create long lasting memories that will strengthen your friendship and be a nostalgic topic of conversation for years to come.

Valentine’s Day does not need to exclusively serve couples. There are other types of love in this world deserving of a celebration. Though I am sure we all treasure the simple moments with our friends, it can be special to make it a celebration every once in a while. Start planning for your fun holiday!

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!