7 Movies To Watch When You Just Need A Good Laugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Good movies are basically like legal drugs- they let you escape reality and are totally addicting. And whether your failed a test or just got dumped, they’ll always be there for you, encouraging you to watch another hour and procrastinate on actual work. So for those days when you can’t get the rain cloud above your head to go away, here are some films that never fail to put me in a good mood.

1. Wayne’s World

If you don’t find this classic 90’s comedy absolutely hilarious you probably don’t have a sense of humor. The lovable stupidity of Wayne and Garth and their adventures in becoming cable stars doesn’t miss a beat. Mike Meyers’ witty (and stupid) lines never fail to make me laugh, no matter how many times you watch this movie. And let’s all take a moment to realize the only reason you know all of the words to “Bohemian Rhapsody” is because of this movie.

2. The Princess Bride

This movie was always one of my favorites growing up, because it is a perfectly satirical Renaissance period love story. This film is easily one of the most quotable movies ever made (“Inconceivable!”) and is kind of a cute love story, if you can stop laughing through the entire film.

3. Zoolander

The star-studded cast acting as stupid male models is too perfect. From the insane outfits to the exploding gas station scene, everything about this movie makes this movie a classic that can never be watched too many times. Plus, every other college guy is a toned-down Derek Zoolander, and it’s always a good reminder of how they are self-absorbed and not worth your time.

4. Life of Brian

Like any other Monty Python film, this slightly-blasphemous comedy is basically one of the most perfect religious satires ever made. When Brian is mistaken as the Messiah, people begin to follow his hilarious advice and irrelevant religious movements.

5. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

You can never go wrong with a Wes Anderson film, and this one is by far one of the best. The dry humor of Bill Murray and Owen Wilson will have you reduced to tears as they set out on an adventure and attempt to find a shark that supposedly ate their friend. The variety of the hilarious characters along with the eccentric humor of this movie make it a perfect choice for a bad day.

6. 21 Jump Street

When this movie first came out, I expected it to merely be another Hangover movie, with innuendos and crude humor. While it definitely has some of that, Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum make a perfect pair of misfits as they relive their high school lives and attempt to catch an adolescent drug dealer. Channing’s adorable role as a clueless loser makes him even more lovable. I mean, what’s better than comedy with some eye candy?

7. Despicable Me

Even though it is centered around slapstick child humor, Steve Carell’s voice makes every word that comes out of Gru’s mouth absolutely perfect. The best part is that this movie is completely family friendly, so no matter what age group is watching you’ll have the perfect movie night.

Photo Credits, respectively:

Zoolander: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/zoolander.jpg?w=670&h=377…

All gifs: giphy.com

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter