7 Foods to Banish Your Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Around the middle of February the mid-semester slump kicks in. Midterms cause several stressful late nights, spring break is still too far away to feel real, and less sunshine means there are lower serotonin levels in your brain. It’s totally normal for you to start feeling less than your normal, sparkly self. Luckily, the solution to beating these Winter blues isn’t far away or expensive. In fact, it might just be in your pantry.

1. Carbs: At some point we’ve all labeled carbs as enemy number one, but this isn’t the whole truth. In our foods we have simple and complex carbs; complex carbs take longer for your body to break down so they give you more energy throughout the day. According to EatingWell magazine, eating a low-fat, high-carb diet improves the production of serotonin in your brain and makes you feel happier. To take advantage of this, you can eat oatmeal, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, and corn.

2. Raw Honey: Dr. Ramsey, author of “The Happiness Diet”, says, “Some depression actually stems from chronic, low-grade inflammation.” Full of healthy compounds like quercetin and kaempferol, raw honey has been proven to reduce inflammation in your body as well as give you a healthy sugar boost to reduce anxiety. For a double health whammy, drizzle a tablespoon of honey over greek yogurt and feel your brain do a happy dance.

3. Pumpkin Seeds: These tasty little treats are packed with feel-good nutrients like zinc, magnesium, and omega-3’s (a key mood booster that our bodies can’t produce alone). By eating just one small cup of pumpkin seeds every day you will get more than half of your recommended zinc and magnesium requirements, as well as see improvements in your mood and sleep patterns. How’s that for a plant power bomb?

4. Mangoes: It’s no secret that fruits are good for you, but mangoes are stuffed with a vitamin called B-6 that boosts your serotonin levels and can reduce feelings of depression. Besides making you cheer up, eating a cup of mangoes a day can prevent cancer, improve your eye health, and alkalize your whole body. For delicious results, cut a mango into cubes and add to a fruit salad for a refreshing breakfast.

5. Collard Greens: It’s not just a song; these dark green veggies have a high concentration of folates and magnesium. They give you a natural calm and have even been known to help control PMS mood swings (which is reason enough to go hit the salad bar right now). Kale and spinach are also good substitutes if you can’t get your hands on them. The easiest way to get leafy greens like this into your regular diet is just to swap them for lettuce in your salads.

6. Eggs: Whether you like to eat them poached, scrambled, or sunny side up, eggs are a fantastic, clean source of vitamin D. Psychiatrists found in a UT Southwestern Medical Center study that “low levels of vitamin D have been linked to depression.” So start scrambling, ladies! To get the most bang for your buck, hard boil your eggs and you’ll get 15% of your daily vitamin D needs from each one.

7. Coffee: This is what we’ve all been waiting for–another excuse to grab a cup (or three) of coffee in the morning. Coffee is naturally a stimulant and it also increases the amount of dopamine and serotonin in your body, both of which are linked to improving your mood. For an extra boost, add a pinch of cinnamon to your morning coffee fix to curb your cravings throughout the day.

Photos: Nate Steiner, jennandjon, Jorge Brazil