This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Are you ever upset with the way a class is structured? Are you unhappy with the teaching style of a professor? We’ve all been there — here are a few ways to tackle a course that is being taught by a difficult professor.

1. Take the time to really know your syllabus.

It is very important to identify why you are struggling. Is it the weekly reading that is overwhelming, or is it the course material itself? Whatever your concern may be, take initiative and understand the syllabus in-depth before contacting your teacher.

2. Send a professional and respectful email.

When emailing a professor regarding any topic, always begin with “Dear Professor [last name].” Presenting yourself as a student who respects the authority of the professor will put you at an advantage and give you a better chance of receiving a helpful reply. Keep in mind that formality is crucial in establishing a good reputation with your professor!

3. Meet with them for office hours.

Going to office hours shows more dedication to the course. Even though it may feel pointless to go, you never know what the professor can help you with in the long run. Talking to your professor might bring up any questions you didn’t know you had. Often, teachers may even give you some pointers that will be important for an upcoming exam. In addition, you may find yourself liking their personality outside of the classroom setting—try to bond!

4. Raise your hand.

Yes, I said it. Contrary to popular belief, raising your hand during lecture to ask a question isn’t as scary as it looks. Although people may glance over to see what you look like, it will be beneficial to you and other students who may have the same question.

5. Create a study group.

Pay attention to the students who raise their hands and take notes. Start sitting with these students and ask them to collaborate outside of class. Surrounding yourself with a group of people who take the class seriously may help you succeed more efficiently than trying to tackle the difficult course on your own. There is strength in numbers!

6. If it comes down to it, ask for extra credit.

Before anything else, try to meet with the professor outside of class more than once. Make sure to ask if there are areas for improvement, or if there is anything you can do to allow the course to run more smoothly. If all else fails, ask kindly for an extra credit opportunity. Professors are more likely to allow for extra credit if they believe the student is making a great effort.

Difficult teachers are everywhere! The trick is to be productive with what you can control, and ask for help regarding what you struggle with.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3

Yasmeen Najjar

Illinois '21

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.