6 “Spring-y” Activities To Do Outdoors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The warm weather calls for more fun or relaxing activities you can do outside. Get your vitamin D in through these “spring-y” outdoor activities: 

1. Do homework outside

Some places on campus, such as the Undergraduate Library and in between the Architecture Building, David Kinley Hall and Wohlers Hall, have tables where you can sit and study in the nice weather. You can also find a bench just about anywhere on campus, or you can secure a spot on the Quad. Be productive and soak in the sun at the same time.

2. Have a picnic

Instead of eating inside, grab a blanket, pack some food and head to an open area. You and your friends can even buy food on Green Street and take it to a good area to sprawl out and relax; that counts as a picnic too! The Main Quad or South Quad are good places to go, especially if you like people-watching, as students will be scattered about thanks to the warm weather.

3. Hang out on your balcony

If you have a balcony, porch or patio, hang out with your friends there rather than inside. Whether you’re talking, watching an episode of your favorite shows, doing homework or just lounging, you’ll be in a good mood because of the spring season.

4. Visit a pretty garden or park

The Idea Garden, University of Illinois Arboretum, Prarie Gardens in Champaign and Japan House are several places you can go to take photos or go for a walk. Spring is a time when nature blossoms, so you’ll be able to see flowers and animals in the gardens or parks.

5. Watch the sunrise/sunset

Since it is spring, it won’t be too chilly at dawn or dusk. Bring a jacket or blanket and a couple of friends, and watch the sun rise or set — it can be pretty therapeutic. 

6. Eat ice cream or frozen yogurt

What screams spring — or summer! — more than ice cream and frozen yogurt? Cool down with some yummy desserts, and enjoy the contrast between the cold in your mouth and the warmth on your skin.

Happy spring!

All photos taken by Julie Kang

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.