1. They Bleed Orange and Blue: There’s nothing better than supporting your home team! This is your school, so take some pride in it. When U of I’s athletic teams win, it makes us all proud to be an Illini. Last season, the women’s softball team won 10 out of 16 of their home games, so it’s a good bet that you will see a victory when you attend.
2. They practice extremely hard: Our student athletes work incredibly hard because they love their school and they love the game. What better way to show appreciation for their hard work than to scream and support them from the sideline.
3. You can get a tan: Sitting outside in the sun may not be your favorite thing to do, but think of the positive. It’s a good way to get some Vitamin D and start building that summer glow. Make sure to wear some sunscreen!
4. The game is easy to understand: Even if you don’t know anything about sports, you’ll catch on quickly. Softball is similar to baseball, but it’s easier for your eyes to follow because of the bigger ball. You won’t have to spend time figuring out what’s going on, so you’ll be able to relax and enjoy the game!
5. Their uniforms are cute: If you’re more about shopping than sports, you can attend just to check out the wardrobe. Maybe it’s the orange and blue, or the cute helmet or visor, but the uniforms are flattering and so fun!
6. Girl power: As women, we must learn to support each other and work together. There’s no better feeling than to see the softball players cheering each other other on and working as a team. To show our support, we can cheer them on from the stands. According to Duke baseball player, Trent Swart, players get better when the crowd is louder. The more fans, the louder the crowd, the better the game. Get out there and support the Illini Women’s Softball team!