Style > Beauty

5 Ways to Step Up Your Skincare Routine for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Winter is coming. That means it’s time to step up your skincare routine to fight off dryness and redness. Here are five ways to prepare for the winter months ahead, skincare style! 

1. Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!

One of the most critical skincare routine steps is exfoliation. Exfoliating your skin will not only polish any dead skin cells, but it will allow your moisturizer to work at maximum efficiency. You can either opt for a chemical exfoliator, like these First Aid Beauty exfoliating pads or a facial scrub such as Lush’s Ocean Salt Scrub.

2. Step up your moisturizing game

Skipping out on moisturizing can have disastrous effects on your skin. To keep your skin hydrated all winter long, invest in moisturizer that works for your skin type. One all-around favorite is the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. As an added bonus, this moisturizer can be found in drugstores and provides SPF protection.

3. Shorten your showers

Although hot showers can feel amazing in the winter, they aren’t doing your skin any justice. Scalding hot showers strip skin of its natural oils and end up drying you out. Try to stick with shorter, cooler showers. Not only will you be doing your skin favors, but you’ll also help out the environment by saving water!

4. Drink up

Although you may not be sweating as much as you were in the summer months, drinking enough water daily is essential for your health. Hitting your daily water intake goal will keep your skin feeling soft and moisturized. Cute water bottles such as this one from ModCloth will keep you motivated throughout the day to drink water.  

5. Invest in a face mask

Pamper yourself with a hydrating nightly face mask, such as this one from Neutrogena. Face masks can help you wind down while giving your skin some extra love.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5

Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.