5 Ways to Make Sure You Have The Best New Year’s Eve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Final exams aren’t even over and yet it still seems like everyone around you is already talking about New Year’s Eve plans. December 31st can be a stressful holiday when there are so many different options for how to spend your night. To make sure this sparkly holiday isn’t a total drag, consider these fun options for your New Year’s plans!

Come to Champaign

Every year the bars on campus go all out for New Year’s Celebrations, complete with guest DJs and champagne toasts! Amanda Tiberi, senior, has spent the last two years ringing in the New Year in Champaign. “I would suggest it to people who are 19 or 20 and can’t go to other bars,” said Tiberi. “It’s fun to meet up with all of your friends you haven’t seen in a few weeks.” Bars like Joe’s, Red Lion and Firehaus usually have New Years specials, so buy your tickets now!

Throw Your Own Party

If you want to make sure you have the best New Year’s, put yourself in control and be the hostess! Inviting everyone to a party at your place will ensure that you see everyone you want to! An added bonus is that you won’t have to pay an obscene amount of money for tickets to a bar. Have everyone bring their favorite appetizer to share and offer champagne at midnight! Make sure to invite the guy you’ve been crushing on and just happen to be standing next time during the countdown – a perfect way to ring in the New Year!

Make it a Date Night

When the clock strikes twelve, everyone wants to share a kiss with their special someone. But standing around in a crowded bar might make the moment a little less than romantic. Plan a fun date night for you and your guy – complete with dressing up, going to a fancy dinner and then cuddling up on the couch to watch the ball drop. It’ll be a great evening to share together and your midnight kiss will be that much more special when it’s just the two of you!

Babysit

While the lure of celebrating with your friends can be enticing, New Year’s planning can be stressful and overwhelming. Reigan Massey, senior, definitely knows the perks of spending New Years with the kiddos, “It might suck because you’re missing out on parties but you get paid double, so it’s definitely worth it.” Parents looking for a babysitter on New Year’s Eve are easily willing to pay upwards of $20/hour for your childcare services. Just put the kids to bed early and be sure to bring all of your favorite DVDs to keep yourself entertained. The next day your bank account will be full of cash as you laugh at all of your hung over friends.

Go To Chicago

If you’ve finally hit that glorious 21st birthday, grab your friends and find a fun downtown bar to spend your night at. Tickets for these places can get a little pricey, but they typically include all-you-can-drink and eat deals so you don’t have to worry about anything and just have a fun time! To avoid the hassle of getting back to the suburbs, rent a hotel room with your friends and make it an all-nighter! 

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.