This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Mornings in college can get a little hectic as we students have such jam-packed, stressful schedules. I have found that the best way to start my busy day off is to have a productive morning routine. Through lots of trial and error, I have found the best ways to make my mornings more efficient, which helps me start my day off right. I’m not saying you necessarily need to have a strict routine every morning, but implementing some tips and tricks could definitely have a positive impact on your morning once that alarm goes off. 

1. Plan your outfit the night before

This tip has saved me so much time and effort in the morning because let’s face it, we don’t want to expend more energy than we have to when it’s early. I know for me, I can take up to half of my morning going through my closet, indecisively trying on different options. Even if you don’t lay out each piece of clothing, it’s helpful to have an idea of what you’re going to wear the next day.

2. Pack your backpack and make sure electronics are charged 

Having your backpack set and ready with all your books the night before is not only a great time-saver, but it also ensures that you are prepared for the day ahead of you. In addition to this, I always make an effort to have my laptop and phone sufficiently charged, so I know I won’t need to worry if they will last throughout the day.

3. Set your alarm earlier than usual

I know it may not seem ideal to wake up earlier than you need to, but I found having more time in the morning allows me to feel less stressed. With those extra few minutes, you can really take your time getting ready, because being rushed is the absolute worst way to start your day. Typically I try to set my alarm 20 minutes earlier than I used to, and it really makes all the difference in my morning!

4. Loosely plan out your day and set reminders

I say loosely because specific planning isn’t super realistic when so much can change in your day. It’s good to be flexible, but also have an idea as to how your day will be structured. I find it most helpful to write out what I need to do in my planner, since I carry it around with me everywhere. Another thing I make sure to do is set reminders in the reminders app for anything that is out of the ordinary for my usual schedule, like a meeting with my advisor or an assignment I don’t want to forget to turn in.

5. Pro Tip: Listen to upbeat, happy music when you’re getting ready!

There’s nothing better than getting ready in the morning to your favorite music. I have found that music puts me in a better mood, which sets the tone for the rest of my day – this is definitely something worth trying out!

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4

Lauren Weissman

Illinois '21

University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.