you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips For Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

At this point, we’ve all had some form of an interview be it for a scholarship or a summer job. These interviews may have gone well or you may have completely blown it (been there). Here are five tips to keep in mind to rock your next interview.

1. Dress Appropriately

Your appearance is incredibly important for any interview. You want to present yourself in a way that allows the person who is interviewing you to be able to picture you, the candidate, as someone who could work for them. That being said, you need to dress for the job you’re applying for. For example, for a summer internship at a PR firm business casual would be appropriate. However, for a job on campus where you won’t be dressing as nicely, say at a bar, dark jeans and a nice top work just as well.

2. Be Professional

It seems obvious, but when it comes to an interview you need to be professional. Don’t be on your phone when the interviewer approaches you, be polite, make eye contact and stay calm. It’s always good to start with a little small talk to loosen the mood and help yourself relax, just keep it PG, how crazy Lion was last night isn’t a good starting point.

3. Be Prepared

Bring the essentials like your resume, some work samples, and a pen and paper. These may vary depending on what you’re applying for, so just bring what you think the interviewer might want to see.

It might also be smart to bring some “emergency” items like mints, a little concealer or deodorant. It’s like that old saying, “If something can go wrong, it will.” You never know what could go wrong before the interview, but what you can count on is that you won’t have time to run home or go to a convenience store at the last minute if something happens.

4. Research

Do your research before the interview. Find things that you like about the position so you can discuss why you would want it. Another good thing to find are things you like about the company or business you’re applying to. You stand out from other candidates if you are familiar with the company’s work and can have a conversation about it.

Yet another essential thing is to think of 1-2 questions you would have for the employer about the position. It’s inevitable that the interviewer asks if you have any questions for them at the end of the interview. Being prepared with something in case you don’t have anything from the interview is a good idea.

5. Practice

Practicing for an interview might seem like a little much for some people, but if you’re nervous or really want to get a few specific points across, practice is key. Practice with a friend by having them ask you some questions or really just get used to having a professional conversation. If you really want the full experience, you can go to the Career Center on campus and do a mock interview. The Career Center also offers ways to perfect resumes, cover letters and answer any questions you might have for your interview.

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
Samantha Merkin

Illinois '18

.