5 Superfoods to Incorporate into Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As a busy collegiette, staying focused and on top of your game is incredibly important. If your body is weak and tired, you’ll end up over fueling with caffeine and get the jitters. Instead, try one of these five super foods that are not only delicious but will do a better job at keeping you sustained during those cram sessions!

1. Blueberries

Fruit, in general, is a great snack to give you that sugary rush without the additives. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants that will protect you against cancer and reduce the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia. A great way to incorporate blueberries into your diet is by sprinkling some over your yogurt or make blueberry muffins that you can take with you to the library.

2. Kale

Everyone and their mother has heard about kale. This dark, leafy green is famous for a reason. Spinach has been known as the go-to green but now kale is toted as the better option. Health.com labels kale the new super green because it lessens the likeliness of getting cancer (like ovarian and breast) because kale has enzymes that help fight these cancer-causing substances. Not everyone enjoys the taste of raw kale but once you cook kale, the plant-like taste completely disappears! You can incorporate this super green by cooking it with some stir-fry or put it in a vegetable soup.

3. Black Beans

Black beans are a staple in a vegetarian diet. Not only are beans full of fiber but also packed with protein. A cup of this legume packs in 15 grams of protein! These fiber-packed goodies have antioxidants and energy-boosting iron that’ll be beneficial to a collegiette. A simple way to incorporate this super bean could be choosing the black bean option at Chipotle! Instead of going for pinto beans, pick black beans to get more protein, fiber and iron in your meal.

4. Broccoli

It’s not a surprise that many of these super foods are vegetables. Broccoli is another vegetable that has the label of a super green. These greens also reduce cancer risk and supply you your daily dose of vitamin C, which is known to help increase your immunity. You can add broccoli into your salad or you can also put it into a vegetable soup, pasta sauce or stir-fry.

5. Oats

This super food can be mixed with blueberries and you have an amazing breakfast food! Oats are full of fiber and are a rich source of potassium and magnesium. They prevent heart disease and the magnesium helps your body regulate blood-sugar levels. Oats are basically full of nutrients that keep your body in shape and healthy. If you’re not a fan of oatmeal, you can incorporate oats into your diet by making oatmeal cookies! If you substitute bananas instead of sugar and maybe another substitute for butter, you have a super food cookie!

Next time you’re hungry, reach for one of these superfoods that will cut your cravings and not harm your health!

Jenny Kim

Illinois

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.