5 Reasons to Love Shailene Woodley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The “Divergent” actress Shailene Woodley is not your typical Hollywood star. Not only does she make us fall in love with the short hair trend, but she doesn’t give off the typical celebrity vibe. Woodley is the ultimate hippie. Here are five reasons why you should love Woodley (and make her your next #WCW)!

1. She considers herself an environmentalist.

According to Flaunt Magazine, Woodley expressed interest in living like indigenous people. After doing research on the Native Americans in South Carolina, she found that there are pesticides on vegetables and made adjustments to her diet. She gathers her own spring water from the mountains once a month, and she purchases all of her food from a local farm. She even makes her own cheese, forages wild foods and can identify different plants.

2. She believes in natural remedies.

Woodley makes her own beauty products and medicines from herbs; she does not take any prescriptions from doctors. She makes everything from toothpaste to body lotions and face oils. Woodley also uses herbs that can induce lucid dreaming or help with other types of dreaming. When she feels sick, she makes tea made out of pine needles and mugwort, which are considered great sources of vitamin C. In addition, she whitens her teeth by swishing sesame oil in her mouth. She also brushes her teeth with pure clay. This technique is known as oil pulling, and it has been used for thousands of years as an Indian folk remedy.

3. She relaxes with a bedtime ritual. (And what she does when she wakes up is the cutest!)

According to an interview with Real Style Magazine, she washes her face, which she believes relieves her from her day’s happenings, then she sits in her bed with her journal a book and a cup of tea. In the morning, she shouts, “It’s going to be an exciting day!” as a way to start her day off right.

4. She doesn’t think that makeup is empowering.

Woodley believes natural beauty represents perfection. She takes an alternative stance to Hollywood’s airbrushed glamour factory, which makes her a perfect role model for contemporary social and cultural values. When Woodley was asked whether she regretted wearing her comfy five-toe shoes to a Golden Globes after-party, Woodley replied in an interview, “If people spent as much time thinking about the genocides going on in Africa and around the world as they do the shoes that actors wear to after-parties, the world would be a much more peaceful environment.”

5. She only wears used clothing.  

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she said, “I exclusively buy used clothes. I’m going to be a citizen of this planet, and I’m going to do my responsibility and live in stride with nature instead of constantly fighting against her.” How can you not feel inspired?

As you can see, fame hasn’t changed the glamorous Woodley. The former Golden Globe nominated actress has used the hashtag #SpiritJunkie to describe herself. Don’t forget to checkout Woodley’s newest fierce role in “Insurgent,” which premiered on March 20.  

Photo sources:

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.