5 Reasons to Buy Illini Basketball Tickets This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Something to take advantage of when attending a big university like Illinois is the Big Ten sports teams here on campus. As the Illini Football season is coming to a close, Illini Basketball will begin its 2014-2015 season with its first game against Georgia Southern on Friday, Nov. 14, at 8 p.m. at State Farm Center. If you need to be convinced to come out and support your Illini, here are five reasons to get tickets for this upcoming season!

1. Higher Expectations

According to a bleacher report sports blog, “Last season was considered a rebuilding year by many accounts.” The Illini fell short of the NCAA tournament by “a win or two,” and this season, we can hope to expect even more: “The 2014-15 Illini should enter this coming season with higher expectations, as they return five starters, add three stud transfers, and bring in two recruits.” This season our team could potentially finish in the top four of the B1G!

2. The Exciting Big Ten Atmosphere

Another obvious reason to get tickets this season is to enjoy the classic, exciting and exhilarating Big Ten basketball environment you get at State Farm Center (formerly Assembly Hall) where the Illini men’s basketball team plays their home games.

“The size and surroundings of State Farm Center combined with the student section help to make the atmosphere at basketball games a can’t miss spectacle,” Junior Todd Kirk said.

3. Orange Krush

When becoming a member of Orange Krush, a branch of the Registered Student Organization Illini Pride here on campus, you get to participate in the student cheering section at Illini basketball games. Members of Orange Krush enjoy the best seats in the State Farm Center all while engaging in fun antics meant to support our team.

“Orange Krush is a great time. I did it for a year and it made the games a lot of fun, and gave me a chance to show my Illini pride,” Junior Eric Lee said.

Even if you’re not a member, Orange Krush creates an entertaining atmosphere for all fans at home games.

4. The Legacy of Last Year’s Illinois vs. Indiana Upset

Last season, the Illini Basketball team defeated Indiana in overtime, 83-80, beating Indiana in their Big Ten Conference opener in an extremely exciting game at State Farm Center. This season, Illinois is set to tip off against Indiana at home again on Jan. 18, 2015. This year’s game proves to be an exciting matchup between these two talented teams.

5. A Different Activity to Try

If you really need to be further convinced to get tickets for Illini basketball’s upcoming season, one last reason is that the games serve as something different to do one night. Going out to the bars, attending exchanges and having fun in those ways is always a great time, but there’s more to this school than the social scene. Basketball games serve as a great way to have fun with friends that doesn’t require alcohol, and the event will most likely not induce a much-dreaded, massive hangover the next day, which is always a plus.

To buy tickets to any Illini basketball game, visit http://www.fightingillini.com/tickets/mensbasketball.html.

Photo sources:

https://www.facebook.com/IlliniBasketball

http://www.fightingillini.com/facilities/statefarmcenter.html

http://www.benwphoto.com/archives/1644

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.