This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

“Cuffing season” might’ve just passed, but there’s no time like the present to get mingling. Whether it’s with a classmate, a Tinder match, or a meet-cute at the library, here are five campus locations to help spice up your next date!

1. Caffe Paradiso

Alright, this might not be one of U of I’s most hidden gems, but it’s a hit nevertheless. With their colorful decor, comfy seating options and plenty of sweet treats, Caffe Paradiso is the perfect place for a good conversation with someone new. Check their event board for musical performances and poetry slams to add a little something extra!

2. Arboretum

The weather’s heating up for spring – and so can your love life! Take your date outside for some fresh air and beautiful scenery. Urbana has plenty of great restaurants to choose from (see Paradiso above), and a picnic by a koi pond just screams romance. Afterwards, you can take a stroll through the Japan House for some lovely architecture and history. Surprise your date with your knowledge of campus and share the fun fact that alum Nick Offerman (better known as Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation) constructed one of the gazebos nearby!

If you’re stopping by in March or April, you might also get the chance to see the cherry blossoms in bloom. The Japan House often holds tea ceremonies around the same time of year, which can be a great way to learn about a new culture while sipping on something delicious.

3. Illini union rec center

Want to impress your date with your bowling skills? If you’re not the best at bowling (no shame), how about some billiards? Dance Dance Revolution? You can find all of the above at the Union Rec Center! They also serve snacks like popcorn and fountain drinks. It can get busy at night and on the weekends, so reserve a lane ahead of time to ensure optimum date entertainment. 

3. Krannert center for the performing arts

Make yourself seem cultured (while also enjoying an entertaining performance) at the Krannert Center! Shows are open nearly every weekend, so there’s always something to go see. From ballets to symphonies to musicals, Student tickets are usually discounted (around $10!) so you don’t have to worry about spending too much money. Plus, performances are a great way to avoid any awkward first date small-talk if that’s something you’re worried about. 

4. activities and recreation center

If you’re looking for a date activity that pushes you out of your comfort zone, the ARC climbing wall might be the place for you. Register for a class or sign up for open climbing to test your strength and try something new! One-time shoe and harness rentals are $1 each.

Hannah Lonergan

Illinois '25

Editorial writer for Her Campus at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign