This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As November rolls around, it is, in my opinion, the perfect time to start celebrating Christmas. And what better way to start celebrating one of the best holidays than with a cozy little Christmas movie? Maybe also a cup of hot cocoa, a plaid blanket and a peppermint candle. Set the scene. Here is a complete list of some of the best all-time Christmas movies (and one TV show).

“Home Alone”

“Home Alone” is one of the best Christmas movies ever made, and for pretty good reason. There is suspense, great joyful music and the vibes are immaculate. “Home Alone” is one of those movies that remind you of your childhood, and that is why it is perfect. I honestly don’t know a single person who hasn’t seen this movie, cementing itself as one of the greats. 

“Elf”

Another absolute classic. Will Ferrell kills it as a dopey, yet loveable elf who is grown up and trying to find his dad. This is definitely one of the funniest Christmas movies, if not the funniest. There is a reason why so many people’s favorite holiday movie is “Elf,” it is because it is such a classic.

“Love Actually”

This one is a little more of a holiday movie than one that has Santa or takes place on the week of Christmas, but that does not mean that is not great. With its theme song “God Only Knows,” “Love Actually” shines in its overlapping story. The movie follows a lot of different people, but in some way, they are all connected. “Love Actually” is the type of movie that makes you swoon for December and love. 

“Dash and Lily”

Now this is a TV show, but it does not lack in the holiday spirit at all. “Dash and Lily” follows the titular characters as they write to each other in a notebook, and give each other dares so they can break out of their shells. It has only eight, 30-minute episodes. I actually watched this show a few days ago to push myself into Christmas a little bit, and it totally helped. If you are looking for something new, and you do not want to repeat the same movies again, you should give this quirky show a chance. 

Any cheesy Netflix holiday movie

Last but not least is not just one movie, but it is a series of all of Netflix’s holiday movies. Whether it be the “Princess Switch” or “A Christmas Prince” trilogies. Or “Let it Snow” and “The Holidate,” the options are really endless when it comes to perfect, cheesy movies on the most popular streaming platform. These movies are not winning any Oscars anytime soon, but they will bring you some joy. 

So, get into the spirit with just some of these suggestions. The holidays will be here before we know it. Savor this time and cuddle up with some holiday glee. 

Grace Bernstein

Illinois '27

Hi I’m Grace! I am a freshman studying journalism, and I am really excited to be working with Her Campus :)