5 Essential Oils You Need To Be Using This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Fall semester is kicking into full gear, so be ready for assignments to pile up high and for exams to approach quickly. Stress, lack of sleep and sickness will follow shortly, making it even harder to study than it already is. Because only so much coffee can help you pull an all-nighter, you are going to wish for a better solution to help you get by these long, dreadful days. However, there is a simple, more obscure solution to your problems: essential oils.

Essential oils offer many benefits – especially a variety of cosmetic and dietary benefits. You can use essential oils in many different ways, but the most popular uses are aromatic diffusion, topical application and dietary consumption.

Check out these five essential oils so you can make midterm season just a little less stressful.

Lavender Essential Oil

Nothing is worse than being crammed into a lecture hall full of sniffling and coughing students; it’s not shocking to find many students with a pencil in one hand and a bottle of hand sanitizer in the other. No one can afford to get sick right now, people. Luckily for you, lavender oil works as an antioxidant protector and boosts your immune system.

That’s not all lavender essential oil can do. The essential oil is also good for curing headaches. It is said if you combine two drops of both lavender oil and peppermint oil and inhaling it or applying it on your temples, back of your neck and lateral side of your forehead will provide the best results.

Grapefruit Essential Oil

Some of the best nights to go out during college are the weeknights. But with all of the fun on a Tuesday night comes the Wednesday morning of struggle to get to class. Fear not – grapefruit essential oil is believed to help cure hangovers. The oil helps prevents headaches, cravings and slow behavior because it is a strong gallbladder and liver reviver.

If curing hangovers wasn’t good enough, grapefruit essential oil also helps decrease stress. The oil has a soothing smell that will make your stress disappear after one sniff. It is ideal to use a diffuser, but inhaling the oil when needed works just as well.

Peppermint Essential Oil

You’re on hour five in the library and your stomach is starting to growl. You know it’s almost time for dinner, but you’re in the zone and don’t want to lose your studying groove to a slice of pizza. Thankfully, peppermint oil can put off your hunger cravings for just a little bit longer. Inhaling peppermint essential oil can reduce hunger by applying a couple drops of the oil on your temples or chest.

Peppermint essential oil also works as a great natural energizer. Inhaling the oil can potentially give you the same results as if you were to drink a cup of coffee or energy drinks that are loaded with unhealthy ingredients.

Lemon Essential Oil

There are only so many hours in the day and sometimes a trip to the gym doesn’t make the cut. Lemon oil promotes fat-loss and can help you out on those days when you can’t make it to the gym. It said that 2 drops of lemon essential oil in your water can lead to weight loss.

Lavender essential oil isn’t the only oil that can support your immune system. Lemon essential oil helps fight colds by supporting lymphatic drainage. Say goodbye to week-long colds!

Rosemary Oil

Do you have a big test coming up? Inhale some rosemary essential oil and remember everything listed on your flashcards. Rosemary essential oil is thought to improve memory. Greek scholars wore rosemary oil to enhance their memory when taking exams, so it’s worth a shot.

Rosemary oil also promotes hair growth. Applying the oil all over your scalp can help stimulate hair growth.  It is thought that rosemary essential oils leads to a 22.4% increase in new hair growth and decreases hair loss after shampooing. Ditch the shampoos that claim that you’ll see crazy hair growth results, and stick with rosemary essential oil instead.

Essential oils are the way to go when trying to live a healthy life in college. Just one bottle of an essential oil can do so much for you and can save you tons of money while being healthy. So pick up a bottle of one – or all – of these essential oils and make it your best semester yet. 

Photo Credit, respectively: 

http://media.mercola.com/themes/mercola/images/herbal-oils/herbal-oils.jpg

http://pureoilguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/lavender-essential-oi…

http://cdn2.stylecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/4947_15-Best-Benef…

Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter