bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

4 Ways to Make Time for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s inevitable that us college students are always busy and on the go – from class to clubs to homework and studying, it can all get pretty overwhelming pretty fast. I for one am always actively looking for ways to de-stress and relax after a long day. However, many recommendations I find online or get from friends seem unattainable for what I need in the moment (like getting a massage or eating my favorite food). Or, they just don’t do it for me (sorry, but a face mask doesn’t really help me with stress). I found that self care doesn’t have to be so involved (or require spending money) but really can be as simple as making time for yourself. These are four ways I make time for myself that really make me feel better, and I’m sure you can apply them to your life, too!

1. Working Out

Hands-down, my favorite way to destress and get some “me time” is to work out. There really isn’t anything better than blasting your favorite playlist and getting your sweat on. Your workout doesn’t even need to be long or intense, it can be as simple as walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Working out allows me to focus on bettering myself, both mentally and physically, and I always feel so good and energized after leaving the gym. 

2. Headspace (or other meditating apps)

Headspace is an app that I’ve heard so much about, and finally gave into trying. I never thought meditating would be for me or even work, but honestly this app is a game changer. Having a hard time falling asleep? Stressed before a test? Feeling frustrated? This app has tons of different mediation options that focus on an array of issues most of us face on a daily basis. The best part about this app is that it doesn’t require a lot of time, as you have the option to meditate for as little as two minutes or as long as an hour. So, fit whatever works into your schedule! All you have to do is download the app, plug in your headphones, and just listen – it’s as simple as that. 

3. Disconnect from your phone

This one definitely requires more effort, considering we’re all addicted to our phones, but it’s actually impactful. Taking time to disconnect is extremely valuable because it allows you to focus on you, not your friend’s latest Snapchat story or Instagram post. Even if it’s just for 20 minutes, taking time away from your phone and social media really helps clear your mind and lets you live in the moment. 

4. Organize your room

Having a clean living space is a really underrated and simple way to take care of yourself (and your belongings)! I recently got into the habit of making my bed immediately after I wake up and tidying up my area before I head off to class. I can tell you that nothing feels better than coming home to a clean room at the end of the day! Studies even show that having a cluttered, messy room is linked with feelings of anxiety – so get your clean on!

Photo 1 |  Photo 2 |  Photo 3 |  Photo 4

Lauren Weissman

Illinois '21

University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.