you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tips to Master the Art of Networking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Everyone’s heard the saying “it’s not about what you know, it’s who you know.” This phrase is quickly becoming reality in this fast-paced, digital era. Networking is more important than ever for Collegiates, so here are four quick tips on how to master the art of networking.

1. Stay in touch

Even though it’s been months since your summer internship ended, it doesn’t mean that you relationship with your colleagues has to end. Andrea Baumgartner, senior at UIUC, recognizes the importance of staying in contact. “I highly recommend sending catch-up and ‘how are you’ emails to make sure the relationship remains cordial and open,” she said. Staying in contact by sending friendly emails or LinkedIn messages to your past colleagues can go a long way when trying to find future employment.

“It’s important to keep connections strong even when an internship is over,” Jordyn Fishman, junior at UIUC, said. “I had a great experience [at my summer internship,] and although the school year gets busy, I want my supervisor to know how impactful my internship was.” Sending check-in emails can be a fast and easy way to remind your old contacts that you’re still around and looking for a job or internship. Here’s an example of an easy and quick check-in email to send to your old boss.

2. Don’t burn bridges with “class friends”

Although your “class friends” may not be your best friends, don’t shun them off completely. For the most part, the people that surround you in your courses are trying to go into the same field as you. Aka – these could be important connections for your future.

The next time you roll your eyes when your class friend asks you what she missed in class, bite your tongue and help a friend out. Friendly favors can go a long way and make a lasting impression on your peers, especially classmates in your major.

3. Utilize your resources

No matter how many times you’ve been reminded of it, LinkedIn needs to become your best friend. “LinkedIn is awesome,” Baumgartner said. “I am connected with all of my former bosses and co-workers on LinkedIn as well as the other people I spent my summer with.”

LinkedIn allows you to connect with past employers, colleagues, classmates and friends while simultaneously publishing your work experience for the world to see. One quick tip: only accept connection requests from people you actually know. You only want people who can attest to your character or experience in your personal network.

Not only is LinkedIn a great, online resource for Collegiates, but there are other resources too. “U of I offers so many career services, so take advantage of what’s right in front of you,” Fishman said. UIUC student portals like I-Link may be helpful when searching for internships and full-time or part-time jobs.

4. Socialize

“Face-to-face networking is the absolute best,” Baumgartner said. “Social media sites are great, but they only get you so far, and that should be the last place you go to for networking. Meet your network connections in person.”

Social anxiety, especially when talking to prominent professionals, can be nerve-wracking. Students need to learn how to talk to people to their faces and not just through a computer screen. “No one is going to hold your hand through [the process,] so you have to develop the social skills needed in order to professionally communicate with co-workers,” Fishman said.

You never know who you’re going to meet and who can further your career, so be prepared with these four essential tips of networking. To visit I-Link or the Career Center website, click here:

I-Link: http://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/about/services/ilink

Career Center: http://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/