The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Shoes are pretty much the most important part of any outfit. For me, if I have uncomfortable shoes on, I feel miserable the entire time I am wearing them, no matter how cute they may be. We go to one of the biggest colleges in the United States, and with that comes a lot of walking. So, I compiled a list of the cutest, most comfortable, closet staple shoes that you need this fall. 

Number 1: Hokas

I just bought my first pair of Hokas this year, and they are without a doubt the most comfortable shoes I own. I wear them every day, they are the essential walking-to-class shoes. Those long treks from IKE to the CIF can really wear down your feet, so wearing comfortable walking shoes is essential. The reason Hokas are essential is because they have so many different types of shoes for different types of feet. You just need to find the right one for you, and you are set for life, or at least the fall. Another perk is that while they are not cheap, they are not as expensive as competitors. Nicer shoes from Adidas and Nike will run you closer to 200 dollars, while Hoka’s are around 150. They also come in an array of different colors. I feel like I work for Hoka with how much I am hyping them up, but I cannot recommend them enough. 

Number 2: Slippers

Slippers are a must for walking to the bathroom, dining hall, or even class if you really want. They are so easy to put on, can look cute if you get the right ones, and will keep your feet warm when those fall temps finally come. There are so many different types of slippers, but I am such a follower of trends, that I love the UGG Tasman. They are the softest shoes I have ever worn, and despite what people say, I think they look cute.  

Number 3: Vans

Really any pair of Vans, but especially plain white ones are the ultimate staple that you need in your closet. They are good for walking to class, and going out and are really just perfect to slide on. They are also very comfortable once they are broken in. Also, they will not break your bank as they are only 55 dollars, so it is not the end of the world if they get dirty.

Number 4: Boots

If any of you are new to the state of Illinois, just letting you know that in about three or four months, it is going to start snowing and it will not stop. And that snow turns into sleet and ice, and just really gross cold stuff that you do not want to ruin your normal gym shoes with. Do yourself a favor and get a pair of Uggs or Doc Martens. Trust me, you will need them. You do not want to be that person falling on the ice on the quad because you do not have proper winter footwear. 

Grace Bernstein

Illinois '27

Hi I’m Grace! I am a freshman studying journalism, and I am really excited to be working with Her Campus :)