This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

1. Host a Friendsgiving

Whether you are going home or staying on campus this fall break, get a group together and have a Friendsgiving! This can be on Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), or Friday. Last year, I went home for fall break for the first time in college, and I was looking forward to seeing my friends the most. I wanted a time to see everyone at once, so I decided to host a Friendsgiving at my house. One nice part about Friendsgiving is that it does not have to be as traditional as regular Thanksgiving. For example, the food does not have to be turkey and potatoes. I made my Friendsgiving during the day, so we had brunch food and everyone made something. Potluck-style meals are great if you do not like to cook or do not have the time.

2. Stay on campus for Thanksgiving

If you are staying on campus during break, you can organize a Friendsgiving at someone’s apartment with the people you know who are also staying. If you do not know people staying on campus or do not want to cook, a couple clubs on campus are hosting their own Thanksgiving dinner. For example, English Corner is hosting one. English Corner is a student organization that connects English speakers with International students who want to improve their conversational English, exchange culture, and make friends. If you are interested in attending, you can go to http://www.englishcornerui.com/ and register.

3. Go around the table and say what you are thankful for

This may seem obvious, but whether you are with your family or with your friends it’s nice to take time at the beginning of the meal and say what you are thankful for. Our lives are so busy these days that we often take for granted all the good in our lives. A twist I like to do to change up this tradition is to say a recent event that I have to be thankful for. I do this because most of the people I will be spending Thanksgiving with I have not seen in a while so this is a good way to update them on what new events are happening in my life.

4. Don’t go Black Friday shopping

Hear me out, I know Black Friday shopping is a huge Thanksgiving tradition that many people love to participate in. However, I have often found that Cyber Monday is a million times better. You do not have to wait in line, you can pick exactly what you want, and you still get the amazing deals.

Image 1 | Image 2 |  Image 3 

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.