3 Ways to Spice up Your Campus Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There are only so many ways you can go for a run at the University of Illinois without getting bored or going too far off campus. No one likes to repeat the same run day after day. In order to keep myself motivated to get out there, I need a playlist that can keep my mind off the workout and a route that doesn’t bore me.

We walk the sidewalks and paths of Champaign-Urbana day after day to get to class and around town. Although U of I has a great, beautiful campus, running around the same streets every week can get rather boring after a while.

There are many hidden gems that are disguised as campus buildings or gardens. However, if you take a second look, some of these can be used as great workout sites.

So take advantage of the opportunity to run outside while you can and incorporate these three new places into your run to keep you motivated!

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

This massive performing arts complex located in Urbana is so large that one lap around the block is a half mile! Not only can you track your distance by counting the amount of times you lap this huge building, the main stairs to the entrance located on Goodwin take some serious endurance to get yourself up! You could get a great endurance workout by lapping Krannert a couple of times and hitting the stairs. You could even try to push yourself a little harder at the end of a great run by powering up and down those stairs a couple of times.

University of Illinois Arboretum

Just off Lincoln Avenue on the Urbana side of campus there is hidden path that circles a beautiful pond at the University of Illinois Arboretum. It is located right next to the Japan House. This path that circles the pond comes out to about .4 miles. Running circles around this trail to stack up your miles may seem like a repetitive task. However, the scenery that the beautiful arboretum offers visitors is incredibly beautiful. With most of the campus hot spots located in Champaign, just getting your run to Urbana will make for a nice change of pace. Running a few laps around the arboretum is just what you will want this fall as the leaves change and the autumn scenery sets in.

St. Mary’s Road

Another hidden running gem off of Lincoln Avenue is St. Mary’s Road. Just as you turn west off of Lincoln onto St. Mary’s Road, you will be running on flat road for about 20 yards and then the road quickly turns up into a steep hill. Running this hill on St. Mary’s is great for endurance training. Whether you want to run it repeatedly or just once along your route to add a challenge, this hill will greatly benefit your workout and leave you feeling strong and accomplished after you reach the top. Don’t worry, when you do make it to the top, the road doesn’t flatten out; there is a nice down hill to give your legs a quick rest.

What are your favorite spots on campus for running? Next time you’re looking to keep things fresh, try one of the three places above!

Photo sources:

http://images.forwallpaper.com/files/images/3/33ee/33ee1eca/99090/girl-running-legs-shoes-road-asphalt-dawn-sun.jpg

http://uihistories.library.illinois.edu/virtualtour/museumsentertainment/krannertcenter/34289_l.jpg

http://japanhouse.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d938053ef015391370a84970b-pi

http://www.active.com/running/articles/4-hill-running-tips-from-an-expert

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.