3 Ways to Love Your Love Life This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
It’s that time of year again when we all start getting excited about what this new school year has to bring. What kind of people will I meet? What will my classes be like? And most importantly, who will I date?

While romance is an incredibly exciting thing, maneuvering through love at this age can be tricky. The statuses of relationships are constantly changing, and we’re always second guessing ourselves. Although you can’t prepare for every obstacle, I think that following these three tips will ensure the smoothest roller coaster ride you’ve had with love yet! 

1. Get to know yourself before anyone else

Throughout the past couple of years I’ve learned just how important it is to have (at least) a somewhat of a grasp on who you are before you start seeing someone else. If you can’t define yourself on your own, then it’s too easy to let your relationship define you instead. Knowing yourself builds confidence, and we all know that confidence is attractive. 

One good method of getting to know yourself is to reflect on why a particular relationship didn’t work after you stop seeing someone. Realizing what you like and dislike, how you fight and the flaws that being in a relationship can bring out in you are all vital tools in making your romantic endeavors more and more successful. If you can’t remember the last time you’ve been truly single, then temporarily taking yourself off the market could be beneficial. Before you can learn from new people, you have to know what people can learn from you. And sometimes the best way to figure that out is on your own.

2. Get out of your comfort zone

It’s easy to stay within the boundaries we’ve created for ourselves throughout the years. If you look back and find that you do indeed have a certain “type”, it may be time to create a new one. If the people you’ve been going for are too similar to one another, then that could be the reason why things never seem to work out. If you’re not happy in a relationship with someone, it just makes sense that the next time around you go for someone who has something new to offer. You have to be open to everything, otherwise you risk missing out on a great opportunity. Maybe you’re strictly a bad boys’ girl who needs to give the nice guy a shot. Or maybe you don’t play it dangerously enough! Whatever it is, I promise you that it can’t hurt to try something new.

3. Trust yourself and your wants 

As cliché as it sounds, you have to do what makes you happy, and you only. That means stop comparing yourself to everyone around you. It doesn’t matter if your roommate brings a new guy home every night, or if you know this couple that has been together for years, or if your friend has her opinions on long distance relationships. Your love life is extremely personal, and while looking to others can be helpful, it can do more harm if they stray you away from doing what you really want. If you want to be in a relationship, then pursue it. If you want to hook up, then go for it! And if you don’t want anything to do with guys at all, then more power to you. All that matters at the end of the day is that you’re doing what YOU want to be doing.

Starting a new relationship or just getting out of one? What are you doing to guarantee your luck with love this year ? Let us know in the comments below!

Photo sources:

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.