Why You Should Try Loose Leaf Tea (And Where To Find It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Tea with book
Photo by Carolyn V from Unsplash
While coffee is most people’s caffeinated drink of choice, tea has been gaining popularity thanks to the boba trend and people looking for caffeine alternatives.  In this article, I’ll be outlining why anyone from newcomers to tea aficionados should try out loose-leaf tea.  The common and traditional bagged teas are easy to find just about anywhere, but they have many downfalls compared to their more sophisticated older sister, loose-leaf.  

Bagged tea is ground up super finely, which means that you will be missing out on lots of the rich nutrients that can be found in tea leaves.  When the leaves are left in larger pieces, the water can hydrate them completely and extract all of the goodness it has to offer.  Additionally, the bags that are used to hold tea can release microplastics into your drink while it’s steeping!  So, if you cut out the bag completely, you’re eliminating the microplastics you could be consuming and eliminating unnecessary one-use waste.  

Now that I’ve got your attention, you may be wondering “Where do I find this stuff anyway?”  I’ve got you covered!  I have found four wonderful shops with high quali-tea selections.  

David’s Tea 

First up is David’s Tea.  This Montreal, Quebec based brand is well known amongst tea lovers, and for good reason!  They carry a huge array of teas and accessories.  No matter the flavor or caffeine level you’re looking for, you’ll definitely find something that suits your fancy here.  

davidstea.com/us

Friday Afternoon Tea

Friday Afternoon Tea in Seattle, Washington is a small shop owned by Friday Elliot, a Queer woman with Lexical-Gustatory Synesthesia.  This allows Friday to taste words and ideas.  She uses this ability to create unique tea flavors based on a number of fun and geeky themes such as Nintendo, Steven Universe and Queer Rock Gods.  (The Freddie Mercury blend sparkles… because, duh!)

fridaytea.com

Tea Zen

Introduced to me by my best friend, this family-owned shop is located in the Fashion Outlets of Chicago in Rosemont, IL.  They carry a variety of classic loose-leaf teas, as well as their specialty blooming tea flowers, wellness teas, and CBD teas.  If you’re just starting out on your loose-leaf tea journey, their beautiful selection of tea pot sets will have you steeping in no time!

teazens.com

Zadiko Tea Co.

If you’ve been around YouTube for a while, chances are you’ve heard of the owner of this last brand.  Los Angeles based brand Zadiko Tea Co. was created by Zach Kornfeld of the Try Guys.  He started this business around the beginning of quarantine and documented his entire process on their YouTube channel!  If you’re looking for a decaf tea to wind-down with, try the flavor “Mission Chill.”  Looking for a caffiene boost?  Add “Zach’s Breakfast” to your morning routine! 

zadiko.com 

If you’re looking for a way to spice up your caffeine boosts, or even trying to find a way to relax before bed, loose-leaf tea is a versatile, delicious, healthy, and waste-reducing option that might just be your new fave!  Have fun, be your own barista!  

Reading Little Women with a cuppa tea
Photo by Micheile Henderson from Unsplash

Sonny Crull

Illinois State '23

Hi! My name is Sonny Crull, I am a Senior at Illinois State, and I'm majoring in Interpersonal Communications with a minor in Music! As a writer, I aim to use my voice and platform through Her Campus to share fun, engaging, and relatable content.
Contributor account for Illinois State