Why You Should Listen To Taylor Swift’s New Album If You Haven’t Done So Already

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I don’t know about you? But I feel like it’s time to dive into the masterpiece that is Taylor Swift’s 7th album. Unless you’ve been living under a rock Taylor Swift released her album, Lover August 23rd, and I have been jamming out to it everyday since. There are 18 tracks on this album so I won’t be covering them all, but highlighting the ones that stood out to me the most, as well as discussing the themes and messages that encompass the album.

Valheria Rocha

“The Man”

Ahh yes, my favorite song on the album without a doubt is “The Man”, this song is just a girl power anthem. Taylor demonstrates the very real double standards between men and women in the music industry. Taylor has always been criticized for writing about her previous relationships when there are male artists doing the same thing, yet their lovelife never seems to make the headlines. Taylor plays on the phrase that when men play the field they get praised and are labeled as “The Man”, but when women date multiple people they are looked down upon. She said in an interview “men can react, women can only overreact” which can resonate with a lot of women because we are always told how emotional and over overdramatic we are. Basically, Taylor sings straight up facts in this song and uses all the negative comments she’s been told from the press, social media, and society as a whole over her career to make a statement on sexism in the industry.

The Romance

A major theme in this album is romance, there are numerous songs that display Taylor’s fascination with love and how happy she is that she’s found it. Some examples of this are “London Boy”, “Paper Rings”, “I Think He Knows”, and of course the title track, “Lover”. These songs showcase all the highs of a great relationship and there are many romantic undertones within the lyrics. 

“Paper Rings” is an upbeat and uplifting jam that makes you smile as soon as you hear it, “ I like shiny things / but I’d marry you with paper rings” and “I hate accidents except when we went from friends to this” showcases the excitement and happiness when your truly in love and would do anything just to be with the other person. 

I think it goes without saying that the most romantic song on the album is “Lover”, this song among others showcases Taylor’s vulnerable side with lyrics like “I’ll be over dramatic and true to my lover”. This is a form of self awareness and acceptance within herself and her relationship, embracing who she is with confidence.

Realism & Relatability 

With all the good in relationships also comes uncertainty, insecurity, and vulnerability which is also highlighted in the album. Taylor hits a lot of points that portray distinct realism and many situations that fans can relate to.

In “Cornelia Street”, which alludes to a Manhattan neighborhood, Taylor sings about how some places hold too much weight in difficult memories to even revisit after a heartbreak. “I hope I never lose you, I hope it never ends / I’d never walk Cornelia street again”. This song holds up on the relatability scale, with melancholic undertones, however, not reaching the level of a ballad. 

Taylor Swift shows off the more serious and sad moments in a relationship, in “Death By A Thousand Cuts”. Even with the song being moderately paced, it showcases the struggles of trying to overcome a heartbreak, “ I get drunk, but it’s not enough / Tryna find a part of me that you didn’t touch”. 

Being vulnerable isn’t always easy for someone to do, let alone for someone as well known as Taylor Swift, but that doesn’t stop her from tackling her struggles head on in this album. “Soon You’ll Get Better” is an acoustic ballad that resembles a prayer. She repeats the title over and over throughout, coming across as a plea for better health and being uncertain to what’s to come.

“The Archer” is another slower paced song that showcases Taylor’s reflective and introspective side. “I’ve been the archer, I’ve been the prey”, which refers to how she’s been portrayed in different lights over the years.

“Cruel Summer” & “Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince”

These two songs, aside “The Man” have been the holy trinity for me on this album, with that said, let’s discuss them. 

“Cruel Summer” evokes the emotional rollercoaster of a summer romance and the challenges that can arise from a new relationship. “And I cried like a baby coming home from the bar, said, Im fine, but it wasn’t it true / I dont wanna keep secrets just to keep you,” displaying adolescence, uncertainty and all the highs and lows that can take place in one summer.

“Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince” paints a picture of many highschool cliches; prom, football games, cliques, etc. “American stories faded before me, I’m feeling helpless the damsels are depressed, boys will be boys then where are the wise men? / Darling I’m scared.” High school is a metaphor to reflect the angst within the political and economical climate in America right now. 

Google

Taylor Swift continues to prove how talented she is by showcasing her ability to tell deep, well thought stories through her songwriting. Vanity Fair quotes “She’s one of the best pop lyricists our era has produced”. With that said, this album has many layers, contrast, and of course songs that you won’t be able to get out of your head. Entertainment Weekly said, “Lover is pure Taylor Swift, at her most content and confident” and I couldn’t agree more it’s everything we love about Taylor Swift and then some. 

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State