Life > Academics

Why Study Education? Hear from ISU Students and Find Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Originally established as an educational institution, Illinois State University is now known as Illinois’ first public university, offering a diverse array of majors and programs. The education program continues to be a favored choice at ISU, mainly because of the exceptional quality of education provided by the university. In the U.S. News & World Report rankings, ISU’s education program secured the 83rd position out of over 1,000 schools evaluated nationwide. Beyond the favorable ranking of the university’s education program, what other reasons might make someone want to pursue a major in education at ISU? Whether you’re a college student grappling with uncertainty about your major or contemplating a career in education, here are personal testimonies from two education majors currently studying at ISU. 

Early Childhood Education

Alexis Abbott is a sophomore early education major at ISU. She is involved in various campus organizations, such as Reading Redbirds, a campus book club, and Sequin Magazine, a fashion magazine club. Additionally, she serves as a model for ISU’s Fashion Show. Alexis also holds the position as vice president for the school’s only show choir on campus: Vocal Movement.

Alexis Abbott is the current vice president of the show choir, Vocal Movement.

Throughout her life, Alexis has consistently worked with children, taking on roles such as babysitter, camp counselor, and mentor for young children in mentorship programs. This continuous experience fueled Alexis’s clear aspiration to pursue a major in education.

When asked why she chose to attend ISU, Abbott says, “ISU has a great education program with being able to start clinicals an entire year earlier than most universities”.

Despite the inherent challenges in the field of education, Alexis believes that ISU’s education program will adequately equip her to face the trials that lie ahead.

“I love the idea of being able to have an impact on children’s lives like past teachers have had on mine.”

Abbott, Alexis. Personal interview. 18 January 2024.

One amazing teacher can positively change a child’s life. Alexis experienced just that.

“My choir teacher in high school is what really impacted my decision to become an early childhood educator. He is the best teacher I have ever had; from his empathy to advice that impacted my life, I knew I wanted to spread those same traits to my future students,” she said.

After college, Alexis wants to work in an early childhood facility as a teacher. She hopes to teach preschool or kindergarten, since her favorite age to work with is four-year-olds.

Chemistry Education

Ryan Borchardt plans to work with older children post-graduation. Currently, he’s a sophomore majoring in chemistry education, with plans of teaching high school after he graduates. Outside of the classroom, Ryan is the liaison for the Hewett Manchester Leadership Association (HMLA), and he works as a Residential Assistant (RA).

Ever since middle school, Ryan knew he wanted to be a teacher due to all the amazing teachers he had while growing up. Coming to ISU only reinforced this belief for him.

“I knew I wanted to help people, and I feel like the best way to do that is directly. All kids have to go through school, and I want to be a part of that important process.”

Borchardt, Ryan. Personal interview. 15 January 2024.

Similar to Alexis, Ryan was drawn to ISU due to its excellent education program, and the real-world experience you gain early on.

“ISU works with the surrounding schools, University High School being one of them. The amount of clinical opportunities you get early on is awesome. I was able to do clinicals as a freshman, which isn’t always the case at other universities,” Ryan said.

Ryan’s biggest goal as a future educator is to create a welcoming classroom environment, where every student feels comfortable and safe.

“Through observing the teachers here at ISU, I want to emulate what they do. I want to teach chemistry but life lessons as well.”

In addition to teaching high school chemistry, Ryan aspires to coach sports at the school where he eventually teaches. He may even aim for the position of principal one day.

Final Thoughts

Students choose ISU for its high-quality education program, and they remain due to the impressive graduation rates, impactful professors, early clinical experience, and abundant opportunities for leadership and involvement. All these aspects prepare them to become outstanding educators in the future.

ISU students have the flexibility to choose from a diverse range of education sequences, allowing them to pursue a path that aligns with their true passion.

Check out all the education majors available at ISU!

Isabel Crabtree

Illinois State '25

Hello everyone! I am a marketing student at Illinois State University. I love all things music, true crime, and self-improvement. I write to inspire and share what I've learned. Thank you for reading!