Why No Shave November Should Never End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

No Shave November is by far the most exciting month out of the fall semester. Aside from the holiday season sneaking up on us during this time and the perfect, pretty weather, there’s something else about this month that we just can’t help but adore. It’s the turning point of our every day cleansing routine in which we save a little bit of our time by skipping the shaving. For men and women alike, No Shave November is a holiday in itself. Here are our thoughts on unshaved faces and legs this season and why you should celebrate them with us:

1. Mustaches are marvelous

Men, own that mustache. Whether it’s the same one you’ve had since you were twelve or immensely overgrowing on your upper lip, rock that thing until it becomes a part of your soul. When is the next time you’ll be able to pretend you’re a part of a western movie when you look in the mirror to brush your teeth? Never – without your mustache. What about when you have a professional job one day and they possibly have uniform restrictions that include facial grooming? You’ll wish you made the most out of your mustache possibilities. Although mustaches sometimes have a characterization of being creepy, they’re actually pretty badass. Think about some of the most notable mustaches in history. They truly hold so much power in our perception of a person whether it’s Ron Swanson, Hulk Hogan, or Tom Selleck. Don’t miss this chance to give your facial hair a personality, a name and a new relationship with your imagination.

2. Beards are a wonder of the world

A face fully fledged with a beard is probably one of the only things that make sense in the world. Patchy beards do not fret. You are appreciated too. There’s just something about a beard that screams, “Touch me!” “Look at me!” “Be mesmerized by my manliness!” Beards are breathtaking in the way that they are scruffy and messy while simultaneously being mature and elegant. It’s a probable comparison to say that a beard for men is the equivalent of makeup for women. It truly does make everything so much more attractive. Truthfully, as a female, I am mesmerized by the ability of men to even come as close to growing ample amounts of hair on their faces. It’s admirable and adorable on so many levels. It doesn’t even have to be a full beard. Have you seen somebody lacking a clean shave for even just a day or two? The stubble is stupendous, no matter the age. Sometimes when it’s a bit gray, it’s even better. Never waste this God given talent, if you have it. You were meant to share your gift with the world.

3. Unshaved legs are liberating

I’m sorry, but the ability and energy it takes to shave your legs everyday is unfathomable. The amount of shaving cream is unattainable. The surface area of a leg is not meant to be spotless. If that were so, evolution would have wiped out female leg hair by now. There’s something liberating about having stubbly, hairy legs this time of year, and it’s the fact that nobody expects them to be soft 24/7. The expectation of hairless legs is gone, and thus, stress about the subject subsides. Isn’t it amazing to take a shower and save half of the water, or use it relax instead of bending over backwards just to reach the tiny spot between the back of your knee and thigh? For the fall and winter, it is freeing to feel your leg hair peak out and say hello for a few days, weeks even. We love hairy legs, even if it is because shaving them after a few months is so much more rewarding than doing it every day. Sometimes you need to let something go in order to realize how much it means to you. Let the razor go this season and notice that your legs will be loved no matter what.

4. Armpits have the right to bear hair

That is a version of the second amendment that shall be heard loud and clear. It’s one of the best, and funniest, feelings to lift up your arms in the winter and be shocked at how long you’ve forgotten to shave those things. There’s a moment of wonder in which you imagine if your hair could actually grow as long as a man’s. This winter, find out if it can. Who cares? No Shave November applies to women too! You don’t have to dye it different colors, like Miley Cyrus often does, but I also think that adding a pop of color would make the entire process more fun. I dare you to grow it. I dare you to dye it. I dare you to let yourself indulge in this very special season of ignoring shaving.

We love No Shave November. Can you tell? Don’t sell yourself short this season by shaving. You owe it to yourself to indulge fully in this yearly trend.

Katie Sall

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State