This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Insatiable: incapable of being satisfied, having an insatiable appetite or desire for something. (Merriam-Webster).

I have an insatiable desire not to watch the Netflix series Insatiable.

The Netflix series has been getting a lot of backlash since it first came on the scene and for a good reason. Not only does it make it look like being overweight is the worst thing that could happen in your life, it also makes girls look dumb and ditzy.

It’s 2018, we all know that being overweight can suck if you are not comfortable with yourself, but it really is not the end of the world. Take a look at all the things you have going for you before you totally obsess about how you look. Being thin does not always equate to happiness. Some people even look better with a few extra pounds on them. It’s all about how confident you are and how you present yourself to the world. The show Insatiable is not a good example for girls growing up in this day and age. It falsely claims that people will automatically like you better if you are thin and attractive. We should be producing shows that encourage girls to get their weight out of their own heads and enjoy their lives just as they are.

Now about the whole crazy girl thing. The main character, Patty, loses weight and automatically wants to hurt everyone that ever made fun of her. I get that she would want revenge and all, who wouldn’t? But, come on… Joking about lighting people on fire for calling her fat, that’s a bit much. How about showing how smart she is by getting out of her shell because she is more comfortable in her new skin? There are enough stereotypes about hot girls being ditzy. We don’t need to be making a new one.

Let’s encourage girls to love themselves as they are and help each other out instead of teasing them. The world really is in need of some positivity, not another show that makes fun of people and puts girls down.

Colleen E Kelly

Illinois State '19

Hi I'm Colleen! Senior Communication major at Illinois State University, I love HC because it empowers women to promote women of all kinds. Follow me on social media to keep up with my articles! Insta/Twitter: @ColleenKelly97
Contributor account for Illinois State