Why I’m Thrilled to Listen to Taylor Swift’s New Album, ‘The Tortured Poets Department’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

After clicking through my posts and biography here on HerCampus, it’s surely no surprise that I am a Taylor Swift fan, or a Swiftie, for those fellow Taylor Swift insiders. As young as five, the woman had gotten me singing along with my whole heart about country heartbreaks from the backseat of my mom’s car. Now, fifteen years later, I passionately sing the same lyrics, along with the other nine albums since released, as I instead drive myself around. 

I follow along with the other Swifties to try and crack Taylor Swift’s mastermind code and see what she’s up to. Even though she has millions of followers on social media, we have yet to be successful in determining which tricks she has up her sleeve, no matter how many ‘Easter eggs’ the singer leaves for her fans. 

When Taylor changed her profile picture to a black and white color scheme, then her website went down with some cryptic clues, I knew for certain that she was up to something, thinking it would likely be an announcement of her highly-anticipated rerecord of Reputation. Assuming it would be announced on the night of the Grammys, I followed along on TikTok, watching livestreams, and waiting for the big announcement to happen. When I heard that Taylor was not announcing a rerecord, but instead an entirely new album, I was both shocked and ecstatic. 

I am excited to listen to The Tortured Poets Department, for a few reasons. Not only am I a fan of her, and I have yet to dislike an album, but also, Taylor Swift is a lyrical genius. Many hate her music, but if you take the time to listen to the words of her songs, there is no denying that she is not just a singer, but a poet of a songwriter. So for her album to be titled in such a manner, I cannot wait to hear the lyrics that perfectly describe her emotions, ones that can be related to by many. 

Also, based on the album cover and song titles, I have heard guesses that this will likely be a combination of vibes from her albums, folklore, evermore, and Midnights, my three favorite albums. There is also suspicion that this album is generally about her breakup with Joe Alwyn, whom she reportedly dated for six years, so it is suspected that many of the songs will be about heartbreak, a feeling many of us know all too well, making this album so relatable. 

The Tortured Poets Department is set to be released to the public on April 19th, a few days before my birthday, so it feels like an early birthday present, and I could not be happier about the timing. Knowing that Taylor Swift will be on her Eras Tour after the release, I am also excited to hear the album live through the surprise songs she sings nightly.

After the release of The Tortured Poets Department, Taylor Swift will have released 11 studio albums. So far, I have yet to be let down by a single one of them. As long as Taylor Swift remains a musical muse, I will listen to all of her releases; The Tortured Poets Department is simply next on the list. 

Paige Stolp

Illinois State '25

Hi, I'm Paige! I am a junior Middle Level Education major here at Illinois State with endorsements in science and English Language Arts. I enjoy being my own barista, cooking, watching sunrises and sunsets, and all things Taylor Swift!