Why Colleen Hoover’s ‘It Starts With us’ Was good but not neccessary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.
*TW: Domestic Violence References, Spoilers*

Best-selling author Colleen Hoover has written an abundance of books — most of which on the bestseller’s list. Her novels have empowered and been admired by many young adult fiction readers all over the world, especially via BookTok, TikTok’s subcommunity that focuses on the young adult genres.

One of her most well-known novels, It Ends with Us, has been awaiting a sequel since being published in 2016. Fast-forward six years, and the wait is finally over. It Starts with Us was released on Oct. 18, 2022.

As the sequel answered many fans’ pleas for a continuation of the story, some fans think there shouldn’t have been a sequel, and I am one of them. Here’s why I think the It Ends with Us duology should have ended after the first book.

IT ENDS WITH US

It Ends with Us follows college graduate Lily Bloom and her seemingly perfect relationship with neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid. But nothing is ever as it seems. On the surface, their relationship is full of fun, laughter, romance and passion. But beneath those layers, the conflict lies. And it primarily comes in the form of Atlas Corrigan, a boyfriend from Lily’s past. With this newfound conflict, Ryle begins to show Lily his not-so-dreamy side and instead displays a side of him that is much darker, and much more violent. A side that Lily is now constantly and consistently being subjected to. Growing up around abuse from her father toward her mother, Lily decides it’s finally time to end the cycle of abuse that has now extended into her own life.

“It stops here. With me and you. It ends with us.”

― Lily
Colleen Hoover, It Ends With Us

IT STARTS WITH US

It Starts with Us begins right where the previous novel left off, with Lily adjusting to her new life. While she is no longer romantically involved with Ryle, he is still very much a prominent part of her life. That’s why when ex-boyfriend Atlas Corrigan re-enters Lily’s life — the last person Ryle wants around Lily — Ryle is anything but happy. But it’s time for Lily to do what makes her happy, disregarding how it will make others feel. And so, while settling into a civil relationship with Ryle, Lily decides it’s her turn to have a second chance at true love with Atlas.

“She’s my person, and I am hers, and that’s something I’ve known since the first week we met.”

― Atlas 
Colleen Hoover, It Starts With Us

WHY IT STARTS WITH US WASN’T NECESSARY

In terms of the novel, Lily went through so much pain and betrayal. And it took her about 376 pages for her to find the strength to stand up for herself and leave the negative situation she was in. But more than that, in terms of the real world, Lily’s story can attest to many domestic violence cases and provide them with the insight to see the rainbow at the end of the storm and the strength to finally leave. Because of this, I think the story ended where it needed to end. This is not to say I didn’t want to know what was in store for Lily and Atlas’ future; I thought the two greatly deserved a happy journey toward self-discovery and true love with one another. But, in the grand scheme of things, I think for Lily’s benefit, and the benefits of all the people out there empowered by her story, it should have ended where the first novel ended.

If you haven’t read It Ends With Us yet, stop what you’re doing and spend some time getting to know Lily’s story and everything she went through — you won’t be the same after reading.

Alexa Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Alexa is a recent journalism graduate of Illinois State University and current student at NYU's Summer Publishing Institute. She has been a contributing writer since 2021 and our Junior Editor since 2022. Follow her on Instagram @alexafricilone