White Wine Guide for the College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Oh, white wine. Whether it is a girls’ night in or a night out, wine is a beloved drink many of us women adore. Wine can be tricky, though. I am no expert or wine connoisseur, but I have picked up on a thing or two about white wine throughout my wine journey.

I am going to stick to discussing three types of white wine because for me, these are my top “go-to’s.” I will also give some bottle recommendations of each.

Moscato: Sweet, sweet Moscato. If you are new at drinking wine, this might be the best for you. This is a super sweet dessert wine; it almost tastes like juice. It may be too sweet for some, but for many, that is what they love about it. I caution you, this type of wine is known for heavy hangovers. You’ve been warned.

Recommendations: Barefoot, Cupcake

Pinot Grigio: Oh, Pinot Grigio… *cue Lady Gaga’s anthem Pinot Grigio Girls* My absolute favorite wine.  Not as sweet as Moscato and not as dry/woody as Chardonnay, this wine is on the light/citrusy side. I personally started drinking Moscato and then made the shift to Pinot Grigio. This is a very popular white wine choice for a reason, trust me.

Recommendations: Chloe, Barefoot, Belle Ambiance, Cupcake, Da Vinci, Prophecy, Thorny Rose

Chardonnay: This happens to be my mother’s favorite, so in the rare moments Pinot Grigio was not available, I have tried Chardonnay and have now grown to appreciate it. This wine is on the woody tasting side, but it still has a slight fruity taste. More of an acquired taste, I have found it is great at dinners!

Recommendations: William Hill, La Crema, Dreaming Tree

My personal idea of “steps” of white wine are these three I discussed. There are so many more types of wine, but these are the three I consider myself validated to discuss, haha. Now gather your girlfriends, or maybe draw yourself a bubble bath, and pour yourself a glass of wine!

Kate Chapman

Illinois State '19

Hi everyone, my name is Kate Chapman and I am a HC Illinois State editor-in-chief! I am a senior journalism student at Illinois State University and have found I have a passion for incorporating fashion and beauty into my writing and work. Check out my blog (misskatechapman.com) or follow me on Instagram @misskatechapman to connect!
Contributor account for Illinois State