This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With Halloween quickly approaching, there is no better time to delve into a good true crime story. Personally, I like to listen to these types of podcasts or watch these documentaries at any time of the year, and I have been for a while now. I’m not really sure what it is – the suspense, the thrill, the idea of trying to solve a cold case, or the moment the killer is finally revealed. And if you’ve haven’t gone down the rabbit hole that is true crime, consider this list a good place to start. I’ve picked out some of my favorites for you to try, and who knows, maybe you’ll become a true crime junkie like me.

Making a Murderer (Netflix)

This is the first true crime documentary that I ever watched, and I credit it for making me interested in true crime in the first place. I actually watched this my junior year of high school during my forensic science class. The doc is based on a true story, of course, and follows a man who was wrongfully convicted of a violent act, and served nearly two decades in prison for a crime he didn’t commit. Finally, after 18 years behind bars, the conviction is overturned, and he’s released. However, it’s very short lived – not long after being freed, this same man becomes the primary subject in a murder investigation. Through a combination of interviews and videography, viewers watch a seemingly good man who had something very bad happen to him turn into a monster. And who’s to blame? Did his time in prison change him? You can decide for yourself.

Crime Junkie podcast (Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or crimejunkiepodcast.com)

This podcast is my absolute favorite! Run by two long-time best friends and “true crime junkies”, this narrative-style podcast got me hooked from the first episode. Creator Ashley Flowers and her co-host Brit Prawat take you through the true crime stories as if you’re living them, from the events leading up to the crime to the investigation and potential outcomes. Flowers has the perfect voice for the job, and the scripts they write and follow to explain the events of the cases are extremely detailed and intriguing. I’m drawn in from the beginning of every episode, and will sometimes end up listening to multiple each day. They cover a wide variety of cases that range from cold case murders to mysterious deaths and disappearances to profiles on some of the most infamous serial killers. I love to put on one of their podcasts when I’m cleaning up around the house, doing homework, or driving. The only time I don’t listen to them, though, is at night… And if you end up loving Crime Junkie like I do, they also have a few other true crime podcasts you can try out.

Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

Season two of this true crime documentary series was just released and I cannot wait to get into the new episodes! The first season was extremely well done and keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time you’re watching. I think I binged the whole first season in about two days. These cases are mind-boggling and will cause you to constantly be checking around you to see if there is a suspect’s face that you might recognize. After all, this series is proof that bad things can happen to anyone, anywhere, and when you least expect it. 

Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders podcast (Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or downthehillpodcast.com)

I’m currently about three quarters of the way through this podcast, and it gets better with each episode I listen to. This was a story that caught my attention when I first heard it on Crime Junkie, and I haven’t been able to get out of my mind since. It’s because this case in particular is so different from many unsolved crimes – there is a photo, video, and the sound of the voice of who police think is the killer of two young girls named Abby and Libby. The pair went for a walk in a safe, small town in rural Indiana and never returned. The craziest part? They still don’t know who the culprit is. They do, however, have three chilling words spoken by the suspected killer that Libby captured with the video on her phone: “down the hill”. This podcast dives deep into the case, and is keeping the story alive which took place only a few years ago in 2017. It interviews law enforcement experts, family members of the murdered girls, and even townspeople like teachers who struggled to comprehend how something that horrible happened where they live. The journalists who host this podcast ensure that no leaf is left unturned, every lead is followed down, and that the audience is aware of every piece of information there is to know about the baffling case. They also are very adamant about the public remembering Abby and Libby, who were the best of friends, in a bright, happy light. 

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix)

I just watched this documentary over the weekend, and, if you asked any of my roommates, you’d know that I was absolutely hooked, and watched all three hour-long episodes straight through. This documentary is hands down one of my all time favorites I’ve seen so far. Serial killers – especially the ‘original’ ones that inspired the name – have always intrigued me, so I knew that the Ted Bundy tapes were going to be right up my alley. It wasn’t until the 1970s when murderers like Bundy, Manson, Kemper, Gacy and more were in their prime that the term ‘serial killer’ was born and police departments started criminal profiling and adding behavioral analysis units. You get to listen to Bundy himself discuss his crimes before he was given the death penalty. His history, young life, and inspiration behind his killings is all revealed. The most chilling part is the way he was able to fool so many people and convince them that he was not a cold-blooded killer, using his mask of intelligence and “good looks” to appear to be someone he was not. With interviews from people who met Bundy – some that even knew him well and considered him to be a friend – this series is a must-watch.

American Murder: The Family Next Door (Netflix)

This is a true crime film which covers the Watt family murders. I’m not exaggerating when I say I felt like I saw the unfolding of a deranged mind over the hour and a half of this documentary. Once a family man, a new love interest turns a father and husband down a dark path. I won’t give any spoilers though if you’re unfamiliar with the extremely sad, evil, and unbelievable story. I highly recommend that you go watch this one. It’s very well-done and even shows chilling interrogation room footage. 

Full Body Chills podcast (Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or audiochuck.com/shows)

This one isn’t exactly true crime – think more ‘creepy campfire stories to tell in the dark.’ It’s by the creators of Crime Junkie and is also hosted by Ashley Flowers. With a holiday on October 31st that is coming up, this is a great one if you just need a spooky tale to get into the Halloween spirit. They truly are scary, extremely well-written stories that are guranteed to run a chill down your spine. 

Amanda Layne

Illinois State '21

Amanda is a Public Relations major at Illinois State University. Writing has been a passion of hers for as long as she can remember, and she aspires to publish an original novel one day. She'd rather read the book than watch the movie, always chooses tea over coffee, and insists that Halloween is the superior holiday. When she's not writing, you can find Amanda cheering on the Chicago Blackhawks, spending time outdoors, or hanging out with her family and friends. She's a firm believer in following every dream and living in the moment. Peace, love, & light. XO
Contributor account for Illinois State