Culture > News

What’s Happening in Texas And Why You Should Care.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The matter is simple. On September 1, 2021, the Texas House and Senate have decided that
women’s bodies should be under the control of a State Government.
During a time when
conservative politicians are more concerned with demanding control of their bodies when asked to
wear a face mask to protect others. In the irony of all ironies, these same politicians have
determined in a Texas-sized power grab that it is acceptable to oppress women’s choices when
the cause and impact of pregnancy is multifaceted and more complex than most making these
decisions could ever understand.

At the pro-life core, there is an assumption that women become pregnant because they are
irresponsible. What they neglect to accept is the reality that pregnancy is also a tragic
consequence of rape and incest. They neglect to accept that pregnancy can create health
conditions that can be life-threatening for the woman. They neglect to accept that women must
be able to control their fertility. What pregnancy should not be is a burden that women are forced to experience alone, or as a consequence of rape, incest, or any form of trauma that was not their choice. This decision has
left women all over the country frustrated, scared, and unsure of what is to come for the future of
our human rights. Whether you consider yourself “pro-choice” or “anti-choice” it’s important to
understand the Texas Abortion Ban and what it means for women’s health and autonomy.

What is happening in Texas?
The new law bans abortion after six weeks of pregnancy. This effectively bans abortion as it is
well before the majority of women even become aware that they are pregnant. There are no
exceptions for victims of rape or incest. While there is an exception for medical emergencies,
there is no determination of what comprises an emergency, leaving a woman’s life at risk while
others make decisions about her viability.

The “Work Around”
The Texas law is different from previous bans in that it prohibits the state from enforcing the
ban, instead of authorizing private citizens to bring civil suits against anyone who “aids or abets” an
abortion. Texas will “award” upwards of $10,000 to anyone who decides to sue a provider that
assists with an abortion. They have also created website platforms to submit names of anyone
who may be providing abortion or assistance to access abortion. With the option of lawsuits now
being feasible, many abortion providers are being pushed to shut down out of fear. Women will
also need to provide enough money to fully cover the expenses of the abortion since it will not be
covered by any insurance providers in the state of Texas. In a jaw-dropping response to concerns about revictimizing women who have been raped by reporting them to the government, Governor Greg Abbott committed to “tirelessly making sure we eliminate all rapists from the streets of Texas” once again showing his utter ignorance for how and where most rapes occur. On social media, many pondered why, if Governor Abbott had the ability to eliminate rape, he had not accomplished this already.

What does this mean for women & our society?
Besides having basic reproductive rights taken away, the Texas law will force some women,
mostly poor women, to carry their pregnancy to term. Some in desperate need will seek out
illegal and unsafe abortions. Some “anti-choice” advocates suggest a myopic solution that those seeking an abortion can simply “go out of state.” Those working in public health know full well the economic and
disparity of opportunity this creates for those less privileged. Other “anti-choice” advocates suggest adoption as a solution to forced or unwanted pregnancy. While this is a viable solution for some women, it ignores the trauma of carrying out a forced pregnancy. It also forces babies into a corrupt foster care system where too many children grow up in a neglectful and abusive environment that is underfunded.

How can you help?
While sharing informational Instagram stories or reposting Facebook articles shows
acknowledgment and support, some ways to become more involved include supporting and
donating to women’s rights organizations such as the Texas Equal Acess (TEA) Fund, Avow Texas, Fund Texas Choice, and the Center for Reproductive rights to help them effectively protest this law. Another way to support women’s choice is to share resources on how to safely get an abortion in Texas. This includes sharing accommodations from companies such as Uber or Lyft who are offering free rides to women struggling to get to a clinic. At the very least, continue to educate yourself on the Texas law that is an affront to women’s health and well-being.

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.