This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you are a former or current student at Illinois State University you know that turning 21 is HUGE. Either you are of the last to turn 21 or you have been (im)patiently waiting for the rest of your friends to join the 21 club. You can finally kiss goodbye the days of frat hopping, apartment parties and dodging drinking tickets and join the downtown scene. Regardless of your style Bloomington’s downtown scene is ready for you. We’ve got your favorite bars listed, are you ready to see what that says about you?

Chasers – Most likely you are underage. This is probably the only bar you have gotten into so to you, Chasers is everything. You are all about “getting lit”, “turning up”, and “raging”, “black out or back out” as your motto. You cannot wait to Snapchat your every move to ensure that everyone knows how cool you are.

Daddios – Seeing that this bar is the “best place to bust a move”, you are part of the club scene; you would rather dance the night away with Mike & Joe or the latest DJ than enjoy the company of your friends by the bar.

Mulligans – You like to drink…a lot. One Mulligans’ Long Island will have you seeing double. You probably hate dancing but still want to have a good time with your friends in a more personal place and you love the beer garden.

Drifters – You are on a budget. At this point you do not really care where you go as long as they have cheap drinks. This bar is comparable to a high school house party with the cheap alcohol and awkward grinding.

Fat Jacks – You are either trying to seriously party or go out for a low-key night, either way Fat Jacks has what you need. With the catwalk and the illuminated dance floor in “Room 4” you love to join in on the grinding, twerking, jerking and whatever else goes on in that dark hole. But sometimes you are just looking for a place to shoot some pool with the squad in the billiards and game room.

Pub America – Now that you are starting to mature (kind of) you are over the club like bars; you are ready for a real bar. You would much rather enjoy the company of your close friends and reminisce about freshman year frat parties over a couple of $.50 Rolling Rocks and $3 Patriots. Once in a while you get a little crazy and head to the dance floor but ultimately you are just trying to have a good time with good friends.

Elroy’s – You are not looking to party. You are more interested in a friendly environment where you can get cold beer, a good burger and catch the latest sports game(s).  Most likely, you are of an older generation so you would like to stray away from the college scene.

Six Strings – You are a townie looking for a good time with some good ol’ country music. You live for getting liquored up after a long day of work and letting it out on Open Mic Night.  

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State