What Sony Picture’s ‘Cloudy with a chance of meatballs’ taught me about love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you remember Sony Pictures’ 2009 film Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, then you know it was about a boy who lived in a tiny town called Swallow Falls that lived solely on sardines. The same boy invented a weather machine that made all sorts of types of food rain from the sky, and his invention changed the world forever. 

To me, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was about more than just raining food; it was about love. Love which was more than just the tender, romantic plot shared by Flint Lockwood, the crazy inventor, our main male protagonist, and Sam Sparks, a journalist intern from New York, our main female protagonist.

Surely, this relationship is the highlight of the film, and the most straightforward love story that my friend can recall. But that’s not all. There were so many other shared admiring and affectionate relationships between characters that I believe have enchanted me since I was a little girl watching it for the first time.

So, what were these relationships and forms of love that I’m referring to? Allow me to explain:

• Fame Does Not Guarantee True Love. (Flint Lockwood)

Flint Lockwood’s life-changing inventions attracted the attention of civilians from all over the world. In a matter of days, Flint went from being the town’s outcast to a national hero. Mayor Shelbourne, Flint’s selfish mentor, persuaded Flint to disregard his sense of mortality in return for the approval of a million acquaintances. Then, with the grand opening of Swallow Falls tourist attraction, Flint was the center of attention, but he was turning away an actual friend, Sam Sparks, just to soak up glory that we would be gone in seconds. Flint believed that everyone who came to Swallow Falls was there to express their love for him.

However, it wasn’t love; it was simply gratification, and it can blind the recipient. It’s a common scenario: someone gets their 5 seconds of fame, believes the public is obsessed with and adores them, and then turns away the people who actually care the most. It is neither true nor persistent. One should not let their false perception of love cloud their judgment.

“Who needs the approval of one family member when you can have it from millions of aqcquanitances?”

Mayor Shelbourne

• The Public Will Easily Turn Their Love Away From You At Anytime. (Baby Brent)

The same as what I said before, public love and adoration are unfounded. Take, for example, Baby Brent. He resembles Swallow Falls’ iconic mascot. The adorable baby boy who says “uh oh!” on the Sardine package that makes Swallow Fall’s economy go round. Brent, who was well-known throughout the town, was also blinded by this sense of gratification and based his entire self-worth on it. He assumed that all of Swallow Fall’s Townes would remain loyal to him and continue to award him the privileges he has been receiving for some time. He had no idea that their ‘love’ for him was dwindling and that they were only tolerating him.

It didn’t take long for Flint to steal his spotlight, and anywhere you saw “Baby Brent,” it was quickly replaced with “Lockwood.” Brent grew old, lost his charm, and didn’t know what to do about it. He lost his entire sense of self because it was so distorted by what others thought of him and his childhood reputation. Brent had to start over, now loveless and forgotten, but luckily he made some amazing, loving, and unexpected friends along the way who showed him who he truly is.

• You Must Be Willing To Be Fearless To See Love’s Potential. (Sam Sparks)

Flint and Sam have their first date in a huge castle made entirely of JELL-O, which Flint had prepared the entire night before. This has to be the most funny scene in the film. While Flint is showing Sam around the place, he points out some artifacts he made especially for Sam that stand out as ‘odd’ but very charming. All of this is overwhelming and shocking to Sam at first. Then she’s asked the question of a lifetime: “Come on, Sam! “What are you waiting for?” Sam pauses and looks at the perfectly placed exist sign, but she responds fearlessly, “Nothing!” and takes huge leaps of fate with Flint, literally springing from the bouncy JELL-O. This led to an amazing day full of fun and excitement, during which she discovers that Flint, whom she initially thought was unattractive and geeky, was this incredible guy she found herself falling for. She was willing to accept his geeky, awkward charm and find happiness.

Who else wanted a yellow JELL-O castle made just for them? I know I did, so I thought Sam Sparks was the luckiest girl in the world to have someone like Flint Lockwood build her a JELL-O house! However, I don’t think Sam realized how truly lucky she was at first, and I don’t think many of us do either. When it comes to something new, such as romantic relationships, it is natural to become protective of yourself and your feelings. Though I believe society has taught us to be overly guarded, not allowing us to appreciate and enjoy the natural course that a relationship will take. That’s why Sam Spark’s love story was so moving. We must all set aside our doubts, fears, insecurities, and pride and simply leap for joy!

• The Love A Parent Has For Their Child Is Life Molding. (Earl Devereaux & Tim Lockwood)

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs has some of the best parental figures in film history. Flint Lockwood’s mom, Fran Lockwood.  Along with Earl Devereaux, the cop who was always hunting Flint down. Yes, even Flint Lockwood’s dad, Tim Lockwood, who was a good parent despite his awkward inability to communicate with his son or support his creative endeavors. All of these characters are wonderful parents who are raising their children and molding them into responsible adults. Flint would not have created the machine that changed the world if Fran had not confronted him during his time of need and had not given him his lab coat. If Earl hadn’t loved his son Cal, he wouldn’t have given him a wonderful birthday present that made him feel adored. Though Tim didn’t approve of Flint’s adventurous nature or technological inventions, he was still patient and caring towards his son, and he had encouraged Flint to turn the rights to his wrongdoings, preparing him for adulthood.

Cal Devereaux has been shown love by his father that many children wish they could experience. (I also appreciate seeing present and compassionate black fathers in the media.) Cal can thus mature into a stable, healthy, and loving adult. Flint has matured into a fine adult with the help of his family. We all start out young, and the love that our parents show us as children has a significant impact on how we grow up. I can’t say I had the best relationships with my parents, but I appreciated seeing these parental figures thrive in this film. It gives me hope that I will be able to be just as loving to my future children.

• Love is Inspiring. (Earl Devereaux & Tim Lockwood)

This relates to all of the previous points, but these are two powerful scenes that I believe are highlighted by love and sacrifice. The first is when Earl Devereaux acknowledges the role of town leader to guide and assist everyone in evacuating. Assisting the townspeople and his family in the construction of bread boats to sail across the Atlantic Ocean to safety from Swallow Falls, which is about to be crushed by the food-alanche. Earl uses encouraging words and motivational techniques to get everyone moving. It was all driven by his love for his family and his strong desire to lead and protect them. Earl could have been as selfish and heartless as Mayor Shelbourne, the actual mayor, who acknowledged no leadership role and left with a boat he didn’t even help build. Earl, on the other hand, had love, which was the power that brought everyone on Swallow Falls to safety.

Something that always makes me smile is the scene at the end where Sam puts Steve’s, (Flint’s pet-monkey) translator on Tim. Rather than fishing metaphors, Tim expresses his deepest feelings for his son, with whom he is unable to communicate on a regular basis. He concludes all of his lovely notes with “I Love My Son,” which touches the hearts of the entire crowd. Tim needed that extra push to strengthen his relationship with his son. Everyone can now express their love and compassion for one another, forgetting Flint’s reign of absolute hell and terror on the entire planet.

• Embracing Your Love For Your Passion Will Take You Far. (Flint Lockwood)

Now, I’ve talked a lot about love that comes from or is directed at other people and individuals. Now, I’d like to conclude with a love so strong that it doesn’t even have to involve another person at all, but it does involve passion and talent. Flint Lockwood was clearly committed to his work because he was so consistent and devoted to it. He was always attempting to invent the next big machine, and despite numerous trials and errors, he just kept going. Flint’s obsessive nature nearly destroyed his reputation in his small town. None of this deterred him. He wasn’t exactly successful in the end, but he was in some ways. He most likely put an end to world hunger, which has been a problem for centuries. So, he truly did win because, in the end, he managed to earn something powerful: love.

I enjoy writing, but, unlike Flint, I’m not very committed to it because I’m afraid of what others will think and I’m so afraid of bad outcomes that I don’t even start. Though, if I can put all of my fears aside and embrace the love I have for this craft and work hard on it, maybe, like Flint, I can make an impact on the world too. 

This was a lot of fun to write, and it won’t be the last time I talk about a movie about food that taught me valuable life lessons.I had so many other types of love I wanted to discuss, but I’ve already written so much! Other negative connotations include Mayor Shelbourne, who is obsessed with the possession of power and perceives himself to be loved the more powerful he is. Or even Steve with gummy bears, and how, despite his love for them, he put them aside to protect his friends. But we’ll talk about those another time. I hope I was able to open your eyes and show you that Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was about more than just food, but also about love. Love for friends, love for family, romantic love, and love for your passions. Thank you for taking the time to read my film analysis rant.

Ashlee Salter

Illinois State '26

Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Ashlee Salter, a sophomore at ISU majoring in Fashion Merchandising (bound to change). My goal in life is to travel the world, witnessing breath-taking landscapes and experiencing one in a lifetime experiences. I am overjoyed to be writing new, creative, inspiring, and thought-provoking blogs for everyone who reads Her Campus. Some facts about myself: I am passionate about film, food, entertainment, the visual arts, and literature. I've been writing for almost my entire life, and Her Campus has given me the opportunity to share my writing with the world. I am eternally grateful! Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me.