toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What NOT To Wear On Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Everybody who dresses up on Halloween always wants to have the most creative, unique, or cutest costume at the party. Although you may come up with some clever ideas, not everything you want to portray may turn out the way you imagined. Here are some tips on what you should avoid when deciding on your attire for Halloween!

1. Duct Tape Dresses: Not only do dresses made entirely out of duct tape seem uncomfortable to sit, stand, and walk in, but one wrong move and your dress may be done for the night. In addition to the lack of comfort, these adhesive ensembles have been way overused throughout the years. Instead, try using an actual form-fitting dress made of cotton or polyester for part of your costume. You can usually find them pretty cheap and they will look much more flattering!
  2. Scandalous Disney Characters: I’ve seen enough Alice in Wonderlands with fishnets. Yes, Disney is and always will be an easy go-to when you can’t think of any other costumes. However, that does not mean you have to completely sexify the ENTIRE outfit. Taking a Disney character and making your costume look a little more fun and modern is a great alternative to wearing something Cinderella would never be caught wearing.
  3. Anything Too Questionable: “What are you supposed to be…?” will most likely be the first thing everyone you talk to will say if you come dressed up as something or someone that nobody knows about. If you can come up with a clever way to really nail the key elements of the costume you are going for, I say do it! If not, try a different idea!
  4. Disgusting Costumes: Yes, everyone wants to stand out on Halloween. This does not mean you should stand out in a way that will have people making the “ew” face at you. Anything with a gross concept or that is a little too gory will not impress people. Instead, try something less gruesome and more people-friendly that doesn’t make others want to run away from you!
  5. Offensive Costumes: If you create a costume that is meant to be funny, it is important to take into consideration whether or not your costume might offend somebody. Having someone get upset over your idea of something they value is never a good time. Try avoiding costumes that include religion, ethnicity, race, or weight. However, please continue with hilarious costumes that everyone can enjoy! You’ll be the highlight of many Instagram feeds.
Whitney Scasny

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University
Celina Porretta

Illinois State