sorority women walking, friends walking together
Original photo by Millie Dean
Life > Experiences

What My Sorority Has Given Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I was unsure about joining a sorority freshman year, but I ultimately decided to sign up for recruitment because my whole life, I was able to observe the friendships, memories, and unforgettable experiences that both my parents had in Greek life during their time in college. While going through recruitment (which is no easy process) I hoped to find friendships, philanthropic opportunities, and an overall way to enhance my college experience. What I did not realize as I reflect on my sorority experience three years later is that I found everything I was originally looking for and more.

My sorority has given me lifelong friendships. I have gained friends who listen to me. I have gained friends who celebrate my successes. I have gained friends who have sat with me during my lows. I have gained friends that have made me laugh so hard I’ve cried. I have gained friends that constantly root me on. I have gained friends that encourage me and push me to be the best version of myself. I have gained friends that I cannot imagine my life without.

My sorority has given me philanthropic opportunities. I have gained hours of volunteer work. I have gained a greater understanding of hunger and food insecurity. I have gained experience volunteering at Midwest Foodbank and School Street Pantry. I have gained membership in the registered student organization Food Recovery Network where I transport food from the Bone to a local homeless shelter. I have had the opportunity to make a positive, direct impact on my community.

My sorority has given me leadership experience. I have taken on the role of director of art where I designed and painted all the banners. I have taken on the role of director of ritual where I conducted ritual during our monthly chapter meetings and during Initiation. I have taken on the role of vice president of new member experience where I assimilate our new members into our chapter, act as a resource for them, make them feel comfortable, and practice lots of communication.

My sorority has given me lasting memories. Memories that have enhanced my college experience. Memories that make me smile thinking about them. Memories that I hope to share with my own children someday, in the same way that my parents shared theirs with me. Memories that have made college unforgettable and some of the best years of my life.

Yes, my sorority has given me friends, volunteer experience, and leadership opportunities, but I’ve gained seemingly so much more. Being a part of a sorority is an indescribable feeling, an indescribable feeling of love, sisterhood, and support that surrounds me. An indescribable feeling of being a part of something much bigger than myself. An indescribable feeling of pushing myself to higher standards and the best possible version of myself. The tangible gains from my sorority have been fulfilling, but the intangible experiences of love, friendship, support, and memories my sorority has given me have truly changed my life for the better.

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5