Life > Experiences

What It’s Like Being An Identical Twin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I can remember being in elementary school, and one day my classmates started vocalizing their ideas as to what having a twin would be like. Would they be best friends? Would they have totally polar opposite personalities? I don’t have to ask myself those questions, though, because I actually have an identical twin sister. So, based on my life experiences, I’m here to tell you what my life is like being an identical twin.  

People Call Me By The Wrong Name A Lot

This one is sort of understandable, but growing up, I constantly got called the wrong name. Even kids I had gone to school with for years still managed to get the two of us confused. Sometimes, I go along with it just because I’m not in the mood to correct the individual. However, there were a few times in school where teachers would get mad at me for responding to them when they said the name Madison (which is my sister’s name, by the way). It sort of feels like you have more than one identity sometimes, which can have its own set of drawbacks. 

Comparison Is REAL 

As with every set of siblings, my sister and I have the tendency to sometimes compare ourselves to each other. It’s a natural thing to do, but it can be worse when you have a twin. Being a twin means you’re going through each stage of life together. Things such as taking the same required classes can mean you are trying to compete with each other for the entire school year. People around you also tend to voice their comparisons, even if that’s their way of remembering who is who. I remember a girl in one of my English classes in high school said, “Your sister is really good at makeup. She wears some everyday, but you don’t, so that’s why I can tell the two of you apart.” Over time, it doesn’t leave me fazed anymore. There are also some cool benefits to it, including that the comparison serves as a huge motivator to be successful. 

You Never Have To Be Alone

Having my twin sister means that I never really feel alone in anything, even if we aren’t together 24/7. When we were growing up, my sister and I were super close (we still are). So, naturally, every night felt like a sleepover, and I always had someone to play with. As we got older, she became the person I could talk to without any fear of judgment. Now that we’re in college together, it’s cool to have one of my biggest supporters with me through all of college’s crazy experiences, and I get to watch her discover who she is. 

We Fight, Just Like Any Other Siblings

And when I say we fight, sometimes, we FIGHT. The bad thing about it is we know every single one of each other’s weak spots. But, the beauty of it is several of our arguments have resulted in us sitting down laughing so hard that we’re crying because one of us said something really stupid, or we realize how silly the actually fight is. 

No, We Don’t Dress Alike All The Time

Granted, when we were little girls, my sister and I dressed in the same outfits almost every day. It was just easier for my parents to buy two of the same thing, and it also diminished fighting about who got to wear what outfit each day. We also owned a lot of the same things, but just in different colors. Now that we’re older, my sister hates when we dress the exact same, but we still find ourselves doing it by accident from time to time. 

I Wouldn’t Have It Any Other Way

Having a twin, at least for me, is one of the biggest blessings possible. I know some sets of twins who aren’t close at all, but having my sister double as my best friend is something I’ve never taken for granted, and that I will forever cherish. 

So, shout out to you, Madison! Being a twin is pretty awesome, although I’ve always wondered: What’s life like not having a twin? 

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.