This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It seems like normalcy is on the horizon with vaccines being distributed to the masses. To think we have been in a pandemic for over a year now truly doesn’t seem real, but it is very real and people are really over it. With that said, I am so excited to get the vaccine and I’m looking forward to a more eventful summer than last year.

It is crucial that people get the vaccine when it is available to them because this is the only way life can go back to what it looked like prior to March 2020. To people who are worried about what is in the vaccine because of how new it is, simply do your part and research. As a society, we owe it to all the people who lost their lives due to this virus to get vaccinated and be the change we want to see.

Once I am vaccinated, I can’t wait to travel this summer and just hang out with my friends without care. Of course, we still need to be wearing our masks in public, but being able to see my friends without fear will be such a refreshing experience. I look forward to going to downtown Chicago, hitting up the beaches, and never taking it for granted again. Now that I am 21, I will be able to go to the beautiful rooftop bars in Chicago, which is something I am probably looking forward to the most. 

I plan on seeing friends I was not able to see all of last year, which will be so nice to see them again and simply be able to catch up over dinner at a restaurant. I will also be able to see certain family members I was not able to see last year who I have missed so much; overall this summer will be significantly better than last.

Over the course of this pandemic, I grew such a deep appreciation of simply having the ability to hang out with people, and as an extrovert, it was very difficult at times being alone so much. Therefore, I am going to take advantage of every opportunity to see people this summer, while I have never been a flaky person I am going to be an even more reliable source for hanging out. 

Hopefully, everyone gets vaccinated, we can build immunity, and this pandemic can become more under control. 

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State