What To Do On Your “Staycation”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Not all of us can go south for spring break, and a lot of college students are going to end up spending the week off in their hometowns. While tanning in your backyard may not be as glamorous (or warm) as soaking up the rays in PCB, you can still make the most of your time at home.

1. Follow up on the Pinterest crafts you’ve had saved since you made your account two years ago: 

There are probably a lot of really good ideas in there, and when else are you going to have time to make a glittery mason jar water bottle? Might as well dig up some of the cutest crafts you have saved in the ‘DIY’ folder and spend some time making something fabulous.

2. Apply for summer jobs: 

While this isn’t necessarily fun, if you don’t have a job lined up, now would be a great time to get your name out there. Applying during your spring break lets you beat the rush of applications sent in the first week of summer vacation. Getting your application in early stands out to employers and, if you get hired, will save you the stress of scrambling to find something in May. 

3. Hang out with your mom:

This sounds so cheesy but seriously, the one-on-one time you get to spend with your mom is really dwindling down. Whenever I hang out with my mom, we get manicures and she pays for my lunch. Who do you hang out with at school that can do that for you? We all need our moms. Use spring break to catch up with yours. 

4. Go somewhere new for a day: 

Just because you didn’t get the chance to go to the beach doesn’t mean you can’t escape for a little while. Take a day trip somewhere a few hours from you. Cars and trains can get you anywhere and back in no time. Explore a new city or town with your friends who are also stuck at home. Experiencing change for a few hours is refreshing. 

5. Sleep in: 

There is no doubt you’re exhausted from the start of the spring semester, and one of the only upsides to going home instead of on vacation is the luxury of having your own room. Use this week to get caught up on your rest, because you probably won’t get another good night’s sleep until summer break. 

6. Don’t look at social media: 

You will be happier if you just DON’T see the pictures, statuses, and tweets from people partying in paradise. Trust me.

Hopefully you take some time to enjoy your staycation this spring break, and remember that staying at home isn’t always as bad as it might seem. 

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University